Making your WD My cloud work like Google drive with a third party software?

So we all know the WD Sync software is basically useless and a waste of time duplicating files in the same folder making it hard to navigate through and confuse computer programs that rely on scanning certain synced files…

So I’m looking for an easy reliable solution to make WD My Cloud Constantly automatically update download and sync certain folders in PC and give other part access to an internal synced folder in other words: Function like a google drive.

Does such a solution exists?

Thanks for helping!

WD Sync is what it is. Some of us have dumped that software and moved to using third party sync/mirroring software like Free File Sync (https://freefilesync.org/). The main downside to third party software is the inability to access a remote My Cloud in a secure fashion without additional configuration of the My Cloud (possibly involving SSH to modify the firmware).

There is also the unofficial Goodsync app that may be of interest to some.

1 Like

But WD sync [REMOVED] up with my file and actually DELETED A WHOLE PROJECT I was working on for a company…

Is there an organized tutorial on how to set Sync up without being depended on a small 3rd party company?

If you don’t mind the complexity overhead, or the possible security risk it necessitates opening up, it is possible to get the single bay units to start rsync in daemon mode.

Alternatively, you could create a secure VPN tunnel using a VPN solution of your choosing, and then alleviate the security vulnerability aspects of leaving the necessary ports open.

WDSync (through the WD server back-end) leverages an OpenVPN client install that is baked into these units. It works by having the MyCloud create a stateful connection with a known host (WD’s server farm), which is how it gets past end user NAT firewalls. That stateful connection sustains the VPN tunnel. Your remote devices/workstations get a session token, and authenticate security credentials against WD’s server backend, and that backend then serves as the arbitrator between both ends of the connection. When used locally, it just talks directly to the box using a custom daemon running on them.

How you would choose to proceed is entirely up to you. There are pros and cons with every possible way you could approach this. Finding the right balance is not something any of us here are really qualified to attempt; It’s YOUR network, and YOUR data.

We can just help you along once you have made some choices.

If your sync needs are entirely local to your network, with no internet-traversing links, then daemonized rsync is probably what you would find most favorable.

The Gen1 single bay units are easy enough to convince to run rsync in this fashion, since they have a persistent root volume, and use /etc/init.d.

The Gen2 units are more troublesome, but can be made tractable, if you dont mind voiding your warranty. (WD does not like it when you make modifications of the nature needed to have reliable user scripts run on the gen2. They went out of their way to make it difficult to do in the first place.) For that, you will need to install the WDCrack package from Fox_Exe using his instructions, then you need to insert your routine to start rsync in daemon mode in its initialization script. It will then execute on every system boot after the unit fully comes up, at the very last stages of startup.

Once running in daemon mode, you can connect to it directly using rsync from any host that supports rsync. (Unix, Linux, OSX, etc— and windows with an appropriate client or utility.)

If your sync needs require traversing the internet, you can still choose to use daemonized rsync, but with appropriate ports made open (If you accept the security risk this introduces) or you can find some kind of VPN that suits your needs.