I want to make a new partition on my 500gb external HDD. Basically i want to have a separate 16gb FAT32 partition on my newly purchased 500gb passport essential, to play movies directly through my Home theater and it only supports FAT32.
So i wanted to to know the process of how to do this and also please tell that does it void my warranty in any sorts or make my drive corrupt???
Really appreciate your replies.
C’mon somebody please help me with this. Just tell me can i make a new 16GB partition on the WD 500gb passport essential which is in FAT32 so that i can play movies directly from this USB with my DVD player or PS3??? Will it void my warranty in any way?
No, it shouldn’t void your warranty or make your drive corrupt.
To shrink the existing partition:
- Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
- Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click Shrink Volume.
- Follow the instructions.
To create a new partition in the space you just freed:
- Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
- Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
- In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
- Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the default value, and then click Next.
- Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.
- In the Format dialog box, under File System, select FAT32, click OK, and then click OK again.
hi, did you solve your problem ? I think you mean to make a new partition on your 500gb external HDD. I don’t know whether you have heard about partition assistant home edition, it is a free edition, I know it could support to management partiion including internal and external HDD, maybe you could google it and have a try, I think it will not make you down,As I have used it, really good…if you want, I could leave a linkage for you, just look at it…