Make mycloud app fully compatible with Amazon Fire TV

The Roku (at least those I have) do not run Android as such they cannot access the Google Play Store. They CAN however access the Roku Channel Store to add more channels. Plus one can create and or install private channels, of which there are many. Fortunately the default Roku Media Player channel by Roku (and occasionally updated by Roku) will play/stream media from the My Cloud Twonky DLNA media server.

Roku does still update the firmware on my several years old 2XS units (usually a few times a year).

Edit to add: Plus there is a Roku app for Andoid that one can use (with supported Roku devices) to “cast” media to the Roku.

There are a number of private Roku channel listing websites out there. Most private channels are for specific interests. Some better than others. And more than a few are subscription based. For me most private channels are garbage.

https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels

https://blog.roku.com/blog/2017/01/25/roku-channels-hidden-gems/

1 Like

That confirms my suspicion that the Roku is a dedicated media streaming device. Which isn’t what I was looking for.

I use the little android media box for general low-performance computing and media playing in the comfort of my armchair. So the apps I have installed are

File manager & MyCloud app
Email
Calendar
Calculator
Catch-up TV/radio services
YouTube
Kodi
BubbleUPnP
Gallery
Browsers
Facebook
Text editor
Acrobat
Office doc viewer
News/weather/transport services
Mapping
Remote connection tools
Internet, network and WiFi analysis tools

1 Like

Yes the Roku is generally a dedicated media streaming device. The channels (both Roku, custom and private) are generally coded to pull down data and video/audio/pictures from various websites for display on a TV/projection/display screen. If one wants more control or a method for searching the internet as they would on a PC/mobile device then something else would be a better fit.

The main selling point for the Roku is its simplicity to setup and use. Most people use it for the major subscription streaming services like; Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, Plex, and to stream DLNA media.

Roku’s are not for everyone, it all depends on what one needs.

1 Like

A quick look at Play shows I can install Prime, Netflix, Roku, Plex & Kodi. All official apps. No Hulu or Sling that I can see. There also appear to be loads of other streaming apps.

Hi guys, took me a few, but I figured out a simple solution. Archos (free app you can download) get that app and you can access WDMyCloud. Very simple to do, and you can save folder locations. (Very useful for when you like categorizing). Haven’t been able to figure out how to add the folders to the main screen yet. If anyone figures it out please let me know!
M

You can use VLC or any other media app available on your Amazon Prime account.

I have the firestick gen 2 and VLC. I can access the WD drive through the VLC menu but cannot figure out the proper path to add it as a media library folder in the settings. I have tried so many variations of links. Please help… do I need to change a setting on my WD to make this work and what is the link etc…thanks for any input…