Maintaing Constant (Up to Date) Backup

Greetings,

I have my drive set-up, no problems, I was told my Tech Support that after running the “Backup” 1x that the drive would continue to keep the files, etc. up to date, and I would not have to run another full backup.

Now, After running the backup, It stated (Top Right of Back-up Screen) Back-up Completed Successfullly…BUT: Still in the lower right, the button said “Stop Backup”.  I was/am assuming because to keep it current it is always in backup mode?

At that point, I decided to do a little, “House Cleaning”, and deleted quite a few files, moved quite a bit around, etc.  Well, now, I open the WD Smartware and it NOW SAYS “Partial Backup Completed Successfully”, and it appears to be running.

One clear indication:  The “Colors” on the computer side WERE all the same as the Drive Side, NOW, there is quite a bit of difference.

NOW:  I can expect this, if I changed a lot around, and it has to “CATCH UP” and mirror how it is now.

MY MAIN QUESTION:  In order to keep a constant identical backup, DO I HAVE TO KEEP WD SMARTWARE RUNNING AT ALL TIMES??  Or Just the WD Quickview that starts with the system.

Also, Will the “Stop Backup” EVER go away, and be “Happy” where it is, and then just save files as necessary, or is Constantly in “Backup” mode…

Really, as I said, do I have to start WD smartware ALL THE TIME, and allow it to “Catch up” or is something wrong?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME FOR SUPPORT…

All my very best.

Jeff ( spyder5157@gmail.com)

Smartware is an automatic backup software, if you see the option to stop the backup is because is already running. You do not need to launch it for the backup to be updated, Smartware will update the backup automatically while running in the background.

spyder5157 wrote:

Greetings,

MY MAIN QUESTION:  In order to keep a constant identical backup, DO I HAVE TO KEEP WD SMARTWARE RUNNING AT ALL TIMES??  Or Just the WD Quickview that starts with the system.

Also, Will the “Stop Backup” EVER go away, and be “Happy” where it is, and then just save files as necessary, or is Constantly in “Backup” mode…

Really, as I said, do I have to start WD smartware ALL THE TIME, and allow it to “Catch up” or is something wrong?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME FOR SUPPORT…

All my very best.

Jeff ( spyder5157@gmail.com)

Yes you don’t need to keep the software running at all times.

Yes. you can hit stop backup and run the backup when you desire.

It will not go on backup mode until you hit run backup.

Smartware will work on the background to “catch up” with whatever files have been added.

1 Like

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the information.

When you discuss SmartWare running “In the background”,  am I correct to assume the WD SmartWare that launches with the system “Keeps an eye on things”, and there is no reason to “LAUNCH” the full blown Browser driven software.

Sorry, I am just convincing myself 100% that it is keeping it up to date.

One comment regarding this, at one point, I had the Laptop off the network for a short time, but when I plugged into the home network, SmartWare (The Browser) immediately launched, and began to run as if it was doing a standard backup.

I assumed that since the device was off network, it was verifying all of the “categories, etc.”

BUT: On a day to day basis, there should be no need to click the small icon (Launched with the system) and Launch WD SmartWare?

I know this has been said, and I am sorry to repeat, I just wanted to confirm 100%. 

ALSO:  What is the “Polling Interval” of the drive, does the software “Check things out” every X minutes, OR is it based on file movement, and the level of changes to the system.

AGAIN…THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU PATIENCE, and especially on this post, as I have repeated much of what was discussed, double checking.  I appreciate it.

FYI:  I did attempt to “Give Kudos” to those that really helped out, but was denied, I assume since I am a new member to the forum without many posts, etc.  Actually, I have had the drive about a year, but never tried to understand anything until now, I just ran a backup and left it alone, (Which it sounds as if that is the best advice)

I ended up having to do a restore, BUT it was on a different computer (Original was stolen), so it was unable to option to put files into original location.  It put them all in  a single folder.  The biggest thing and I have now reduced, is the number/copies of each file to maintain.  It was set at 5 or something??? So, this single folder was stuffed with the same file, disgusied under several names…  I now keep it at 2, incase I overwrite by accident, beyond that, I believe I would be aware of any changes.,

AGAIN,.,THANK YOU ALL…APPRECIATE THE PATIENCE AND THE AWESOME CONTRIBUTIONS.

Impressive.

Best regareds,

Jeff

spyder5157 wrote:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the information.

ALSO:  What is the “Polling Interval” of the drive, does the software “Check things out” every X minutes, OR is it based on file movement, and the level of changes to the system.

Haven’t monitor that. I think it does not have an specific time to do it, but it will do it eventually 

1 Like