Mail

Wonder if this backup software is too Smart for its own good.

Backs up nicely in the background, hardly know it’s there.

However, when trying to retrieve some old emails I discovered only 5 restore points and these all from the same day (i.e. this morning);

Show older files and deleted files boxes are ticked, so how do I get back last months’ mail? or even the month before?

Have you tried contacting WD’s Technical Support about this? You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support were unable to solve a previous ‘problem’ with this software and I have no confidence they will be able to solve this !

I only posted here in case other users could shed some light on the issue …

But I shall do as you suggest …

This is the response I got from support …

As per your enquiry, you need to check on the Smartware the number of backups it is set too.

I.E. - If you have a set for 5 backups, it means that after backing up the 5th time it will start deleting the older backups and replacing them for the new ones. Which might cause the absence of older backup mail files in your drive.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Now is someone telling me that 5 restore points in one hour is efficient ???

Further response …

As I explained to you before, this is in the settings of the software.

Further more, if the software is programmed to the oldest 5 backups and you have set it to automatically backup, then every time you change something in you computer and refresh your view, for example by closing the file. The Smartware will create a new backup, as it detects changes in the system files.

Again, I must advise you to review your software settings and change them accordingly to your needs.