Mail Server

Adding a Mail Server (smtp, pop3, imap4) and LDAP - sort of a family server - would be nice.
I think it makes sense to use postfix + dovecot, as the least time-consuming bundle in configuration and maintenance.

1 Like

@nos96, Might be something best run as a docker container, if WD put the basic hooks for docker to be supported back into the base firmware.

Cheers,

JediNite

I don’t think that using Docker will be a good choice, at least because of the high overhead, we must understand that we are dealing with a limited number of resources (neither memory nor CPU can be upgraded).
Although on the other hand, I had CommuniGate Pro running on Linksys NSLU2 for almost a year and at the same time served an organization of 25 users :slight_smile:

And competitors (Synology, QNAP, Asustor…) have similar solutions (for example: Synology Mail Plus Server, Asustor Mail-Server…), and WD is still somewhere in the ranks of outsiders.

After all, can WD turn to CommuniGate Pro to avoid reinventing the wheel? The product is very decent, lightweight, cross-platform (which is important) and there will be no problems with backups (just archived the working directory and transferred to another machine, if necessary).