macOS - MyCloud so slow it's close to going out the window!

I disagree. Seems to be the WDMyCloud that’s the exception here. WD need to look at compatibility with macOS.

How so?

It’s identical hardware.
It’s accessing the identical file server (SMB).
The MyCloud SMB server just sees clients. It should not distinguish between client types.

Therefore, the thing that is different is MacOS.

I’m in no way a WD fan boy, BTW; I’m one of the more vocal critics on this forum. But in this case, the evidence points to MacOS as the culprit.

1 Like

How so? Because macOS transfers at same speed as Windows to my other network drive (Apple Time Capsule), and to other computers on the network. It’s only when sending stuff to the WD that there is a problem.

There seem to be literally dozens of posts throughout this site complaining about how slow the WD MyCloud performs on a Mac. For my part, I put up with the poor performance for weeks when I was using both a Macbook Pro and a Windows desktop. But when I got rid of my Windows desktop and decided to go all Mac, I decided to reset the MyCound and reinstall it. Essentially no change. I have yet to see an answer from anyone representing Western Digital offering a solution, or even a reason. Whether the issue is the MyCloud or the Mac OS, the reality is this is not an isolated problem, or the fault of the people using the hardware. This deserves an answer from the WD experts.

@ijpoole I agree. I have had nothing but trouble with this WD device on macOS for over a year now. I am tempted to throw it away and buy a Synology (or something similar) but I’m concerned that this may not be a WD issue, but NAS in general with macOS.
The only thing is, as I have said above, that I get perfectly good transfer rates when backing up to my Time Capsule NAS, and reasonably OK performance when copying to other computers on the network.
So, I really don’t know, and I certainly don’t want to spend hundreds of pounds on another device if the performance is going to be similar.
Anyone experiencing these difficulties tried another brand of NAS?

Apple product to Apple product. They really ought to be able to get that right, as they’re controlling both ends of it…

Their integration with an open-source Samba server may not be so good. Whereas the Windows integration with the identical Samba server obviously works okay. That was really my point about why I thought the fault was at the Apple end.

1 Like

What would it take to get a direct reply from a WD expert to this thread? Here’s the simple fact: Whenever I select the My Cloud via Finder, I wave to wait about 20 seconds for a directory of partitions to appear. Afterward I may get faster response selecting directories – but occasionally even then there is a few-second delay. And that assumes I don’t run into random instances of My Cloud deciding to disappear altogether, which means I have to reboot either my laptop or the My Cloud device.

Whether or not the problem starts with Apple’s OS is a bit irrelevant, since WD should be capable of doing what virtually every vendor of Mac software seems to be able to do – upgrade its software or firmware to adjust to changes in the Mac OS or address bugs its users uncover. Why can we not get a straight answer from WD about what’s going on here and whether or not there is a fix?

There is a fix. Buy a Synology NAS! That’s what I did, and my life has not been the same since. Every access and backup work quickly and smoothly. The WDMyCloud went in the bin!

Could it be related to the MyCloud drive stuck building the index?

The fix I used:
https://webstackbyhaxmor.com/how-to-improve-the-performance-of-your-wd-mycloud-device/

Eh, you do realise the last response on this thread was 5 years ago!

And yet the problem still exists in old WD my Cloud devices when you have to restart …. It took me ages to find the fix again (and I knew what I was looking for)