MacBook Pro can see MBW in finder but can't connect to it

quarkhead wrote:

Bumping this to see if anyone can help… does anyone from WD look at these forums? This is a frustrating issue!

Not as a rule.  If you want help from WD Technical Support, you will need to contact them.  You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

1 Like

I was wondering… could this issue have something to do with security? I have my router set up with the “WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]” but that’s just for wireless access, right? It shouldn’t affect the drive, which is wired to the router. 

What about UPnP settings? My portmap table shows devices with IP addresses that don’t show up in my “Attached Devices” tab. Of the following, only ‘y’ and ‘z’ are also on my ‘attached devices.’

UPnP Portmap Table
Active Protocol Int. Port Ext. Port IP Address
YES UDP 49189 49189 192.168.1.x
YES TCP 17623 17623 192.168.1.x
YES UDP 17623 17623 192.168.1.x
YES UDP 61109 61109 192.168.1.y
YES UDP 3658 3658 192.168.1.z
YES UDP 54494 54494 192.168.1.a
YES TCP 17623 17624 192.168.1.a
YES UDP 17623 17624 192.168.1.a

And for good measure, since I don’t know what, if anything, it affects, my RIP version is set to RIP_2B and direction is BOTH.

I don’t know if this helps at all…

I may have an idea what is going on with your NAS drive.  I recently switched my router to  a Apple TimeCapsule and my drive was seen, but not accessible by my MacBook via ethernet connection.  My two Win7 PC’s had no problem accessing, but they did it wirelessly.  Also, my MacBook could access it wirelessly.

Anyway, I reset my NAS drive password by pushing and holding in the reset button on the back for four seconds.  After doing this, I was able to access the drive.  When I went and accessed the drives setting via Bonjour, the MTU settings was reset to the standard 1500mtu transfer rate.  I had mine originally set to “Jumbo 9000” for large data transfers.  That setting was causing a conflict between the drive and the router.

Now, here’s the caveat, I JUST figured this part out TODAY.  Whenever I reset the MTU to “Jumbo 9000”, the same thing reoccurs. The router and the drive need to have the same MTU setting, unfortunately, my time capsule does not have that setting to change, so I am stuck at the moment, but I can access my files.  Most of my files that I access are small, so the 'Jumbo 9000" setting is not necessary.  If I need to move large amounts of data, I will just connect to it directly bypassing the router all together.

Well, I hope something here helps you.  Good luck, and let us know what happens or if you discover something new.

It all gets stranger and stranger. Connecting my drive via ethernet directly to my mac, I was finally able to mount it, and log on as a guest. However, I cannot access the web interface through bonjour, and I cannot log in as admin in the finder, either. resetting the password etc does nothing to solve this. The result is that while 90% of my folders are fine, about 10% will not allow me access, since I am only able to log in as a guest. My goal at this point is to copy all my data while I have the disk up and running. But I can’t copy the folders which I cannot access, either to another drive, or back to my computer.

I have a new NAS, one of the D-links where I can add drives intot he enclosure, a really good long term solution. So I want to copy everything from the MBW onto my new NAS drive, but as I said, I cannot access certain folders. In the long term, I suppose I can iive with a 10% loss, if that’s how it ends up. These are iTunes artist folders, for the most part.

As an aside, I wasn’t terribly satisfied with the level 2 tech support at WD. Could hardly understand the guy, and he seemed to think it was a power supply issue. Not sure what I did to finally get it to show up on my mac, but it was not through any help that guy gave me. He was nice, but just not helpful.