Mac Time Machine backups extremely SLOW

Hi,

I have a gigabit local area network - and its tested speed is very close to that - but the speed of Mac Time Machine backups to the WD My Cloud EX2 are inconsistent and, overall, EXTREMELY SLOW.

This is a 2015 MacBook Pro running the latest OS X 10.11.1. The WD My Cloud EX2 is running the latest 2.10.310 firmware, and it’s at a static IP address. There’s little or no other network activity happening.

The backup might start off at a reasonable pace, but over time will end up crawling or completely stopping for many hours at a time. It’s a large backup, initially estimated at 10 hours to complete, but at this point 12 hours have elapsed and it says it has another 14 hours to go. Given that progress is currently almost at a standstill even that estimate looks very conservative. The Mac is set to never sleep, and so is the WD My Cloud EX2, so it’s not a case of one or the other going to sleep and stopping.

Time Machine backups to a local USB drive have no such problems.

I’ve completely reset the drive and rebooted it (and the Mac) many times to no avail.

Is there a way to fix this? If not - and soon - the drive is going back.

Thanks

1 Like

Also, this is over a wired ethernet connection, not wifi.

what did you do?
Return it or solved your problem?

The short story:

• it went back.

The slightly longer story:

• several discussions / support cases with WD tech support
  • regular firmware update
  • manual firmware update
  • full factory restore
  • uploaded system log and attached to support case
  • lots of reboots & other troubleshooting
  • it went back.
1 Like

Ouch!
I’ve had mine for 1 year now, too busy with my personal health (Right hip complete replaced) and other life “stuff”, so now trying to make this work. AS it’s a 6TB RAID set-up for me it will replace 2 other hard drives and also give space for other NAS stuff.

that’s happen becouse the backup speed is near at the light speed so the time is slow, it’s phisic, it’s just you time perception that is wrong, in real it has already backupup all you files several days ago :smile:

That’s why it’s called “Time Machine”

1 Like

i have the same problem, it’s really too slow :disappointed: