Mac OS X can't repair the disk My Passport Studio

My Passport Studio (1 TB  model: WDBK8A0010BBK-00) suddenly stopped doing scheduled backups on my MacBook Pro.

I get a message: Time Machine could not complete the backup. The backup disk is not available."

When I do a manual backup, I get the message:   “Time Machine could not complete the backup. Files can’t be copied onto the backup disk because it appears to be read only. You may need to repair or reformatt the disk using Disk Utility.”

This message has also appeared: “Mac OS X can’t repair the disk My Passport Studio. You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformatt it as soon as you can.”

I did the My Passport Studio dignostics tests:

Perform a S.M.A.R.T. status checked - passed

Perform a quick drive self-test - went to 90% and then stalled

Perform a full media scan - failed

What is the problem?  Is My Passport Studio backup repairable?  Should I just purchase a new one?

Hello, I would try to first do a backup of all the files and then format it, if the format fails, the Passport would appear to be faulty. Check the link below for the steps to format it after doing a backup of all your important files. 

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

1 Like