Mac can't find older My Passport in Finder and Disk Utility

Hi all,

I’ve got a 3-year-old My Passport connected to my MacBook Pro, running El Capitan. A few days ago the drive disappeared off Finder, and I can’t find it in Disk Utility. I’ve tried connecting it to an ancient Windows laptop and an iMac, with no luck. I was able to find it once with Disk Utility, and ran First Aid, and was told it was fine, but it still didn’t show up in Finder. It hasn’t show up in DU since then.

I can’t figure out how to get on it. I checked under Utilities < System Information, and it shows up as My Passport 0748 under USB. Any clue how I can go about accessing the drive? I’m afraid it’s dying or dead, and I’d really like to get access to the files on it to move them elsewhere. All of my current files are in Dropbox, so I can still function, but I’ve got some archived files that I don’t want to lose.

Please assume ignorance on my part :blush: and explain technical stuff simply.

Thanks!

Sue

Hello,

I recommend you try replacing the USB cable. If you still have the issue after that then you may consider data recovery.

Thanks, I did try that with no luck. I’ve got someone looking at it to see if he can recover the files. Not really hopeful at this point.