Mac can't detect WD Elements SE 2TB Drive

Mac can’t detect WD Elements SE 2TB Drive. It spins up for a second when I connect it, then stops. Disk utility can’t see it. I have a second working drive and have tested the port and cable which are both working fine. I downloaded WD Drive Utilities and although it does detect the drive if I click on ‘Run Drive Status Check’ or any of the other options, nothing at all happens. What else should I try?

Thanks,
Thomas

is it the first time that u try to connect this drive to the mac or did it worked in the past? i would try to connect the drive to a computer with windows. if you don’t have one then ask a friend. Unfortunately i know nothing about Mac’s but in windows is a driver called “WD SES Device” needed for some WD devices. if you have any drivers installed, try to reinstall them and then test again but first i would test the drive on a computer with windows. if the drive won’t get detected on any machine, then your drive might be died.

Edit: i just have read again your text. so after installing wd drive utilities the mac does detect your drive but u can’t access, right? check if there is any missing driver that you need, for example the one i mentioned above. install any similar tool like CrystalDiskInfo, if there is no freeware alternative then check it with CrystalDiskInfo on a machine with windows. there could be problems with pending\reallocated sectors. sometimes a full format (not quick format) can help