m3u playlist slight pauses between tracks

When I play a M3u file there is abt. 1 sec pause between the tracks. The tracks are in the same directory of the WD harddisk that is directly connected to the WD tive Liv. When playing mixed cd’s like I do very often, this is very annoying

When playing same M3U files from a desktop or notebook with mediaplayers like Foobar2000 the tracks are played without any pause, just like playing the original CD

How can I have these playlists played without these annoying pauses?

For as far as I know the WDTV doesn’t support gapless audio.

Thx for yr quick reply. I will return the player to the shop then. I am very surprised that a mediaplayer like this does not provide for gapless playback while software like Foobar provides such already for years.

Would you have any suggestion for mediaplayers that do support gapless playback?

THolland wrote:

Thx for yr quick reply. I will return the player to the shop then. I am very surprised that a mediaplayer like this does not provide for gapless playback while software like Foobar provides such already for years.

Would you have any suggestion for mediaplayers that do support gapless playback?

There is a huge difference between hardware and software.

richUK wrote:

THolland wrote:

There is a huge difference between hardware and software.

I also need this function.
Do you think it is impossible to implement, due to hardware limitations?

Gapless Audio Playback

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Ideas/Gapless-Audio-Playback/idi-p/270488

RichUK, wow - there is a difference between hardware and software, really?  How profound.  Your fortune cookie response just comes off as uninformed, apologist and insulting.  CD players have had the ability to play gaplessly since the mid 1980’s, the uPnP spec has had the commands necessary for this for about a decade, and many other software and hardware companies have made many products (including media streamers) with gapless playback.   Pretending that the WD TV Live Streaming box does not have gapless playback capability because of some limit or lack of capability in hardware or software is just absurd.  Pretending there is some kind of intellectual property issue would be equally absurd.  Blaming the chipmaker’s SDK is a copout.  Other excuses made don’t add up.  WD media streamers lack the capability because of a lack of interest within WD, simple as that.  I have the greatest confidence that the moment WD decides to provide gapless playback, then can do so easily.  I wish they would!

pantsonfire wrote:

RichUK, wow - there is a difference between hardware and software, really?  How profound.  Your fortune cookie response just comes off as uninformed, apologist and insulting.  

You actually registered just to post this. How very sad.

richUK wrote:

pantsonfire wrote:

RichUK, wow - there is a difference between hardware and software, really?  How profound.  Your fortune cookie response just comes off as uninformed, apologist and insulting.  

You actually registered just to post this. How very sad.

My thoughts exactly when I saw his response. 

As for the ''problem" of slight pauses when the media player picks up the next track:  I don’t see it as a problem at all.  I LIKE some breathing room between tracks, just like when the iPod plays .  Definitely not a reason to return the player to the store!  That’s just throwing the baby out with the bath water.

“breathing room” - oh dear … dpends on music tastes i guess but Live albums and nearly every dance cd ever made are produced NOT to have a gap .

returning the player is a valid point if thats what the person brought it for.

Seemless playback has been given to us for years from CD’s and “most” MP3 players 

Really do hope WD get this feature added at some point.

All current ipods, and many older ipods, support gapless playback - the poster who thinks they don’t really doesn’t know what he’s posting about.  Only the very earliest versions from many years ago did not, and Apple fixed that quickly.  Gapless isn’t a user preference or  an optional feature - it’s vital to accurate playback of most albums produced for decades.

Oops, this is my first post, which means I have a life outside of these forums - so does that hurt or help my credibility?  The only reason I posted was to express my distain for “blame the customer” in attacking those who want gapless and those playing the “high post counts mean credibility” game.

1 Like

The original IPods were able to play gapless music eventually.  All it took was an upgrade.  Every other meida player I have supports gapless playback.  So, there is no technical reason to not do this.

MitchellJareo wrote:

The original IPods were able to play gapless music eventually.  All it took was an upgrade.  Every other meida player I have supports gapless playback.  So, there is no technical reason to not do this.

An upgrade to hardware, yes.  The older hardware could never do gapless.  It was a hardware limitation.