m2ts video format (sony camcorder ( not recognized using ipad / iphone connecting to wd my cloud

i have a sony camcorder that i dump video from to my pc.

the videos appear to be in a format called… m2ts.

the videos play fine with the player that was installed on my pc that came with the camcorder (Play Memories Software).

However, when i transfer videos to my wd my cloud drive and then try to watch them with ipad or iphone (*using the WD app) , the videos will not play. Instead i get an image of a confused looking cartoon drawing.

I HAVE TONS OF VIDEOS THAT WERE SHOT W MY SONY CAMCORDER.

WHAT CAN I DO TO BE ABLE TO VIEW THEM FROM MY WD MY CLOUD DRIVE ON MY IPAD / IPHONE?

help please

You have two choices:

Convert the videos to a format that Apple supports.

Load an app that can play them, then open them in that app via the Cloud app’s “Open with…” function.

You might want to remove your phone number and e-mail from your post unless you want to get a bunch of prank calls and spam…

LinAdmin wrote:

The freeware toolchain ffmpeg allows to do that.

Be careful that it is only remuxed and not re-encoded! 

I do exactly that.   But you may have to reencode unless the video format is h.264 (a/k/a AVC)  at a speciific Profile, or some other format supported by Apple.  If for some strange reason the M2TS contains another video format, you will likely need to rencode.

The free tool MediaInfo (or other similar programs) can tell you what the exact format of your files are.

For ipad i will use XBMC as media player and use MKV as format.

There are more options around but i will do the following since i prefer MKV as container for all video stuff:

A 2 step process but fast and with a lot of possibilities to customize resulting file…or not leaving defaults:

• Demux with Tsmuxer (drag and drop).

• Import streams demuxed (drag and drop) into mkvmerge and mux it to mkv file format.

A simple video guide:

Muxing an m2ts to mkv using tsMuxer and mvkmerge

Don’t use links provided get soft from this ones:

Tsmuxer  2.6.11 (latest version):

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR

MKVMERGE GUI is one tool of the MKVToolNix 6.7.0 package (latest):

http://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html