m2ts and mkv playback issues

My router has lights on it. Blue is gigabit and green is 100. The SMP is green on my router. All other devices are blue. I’ve switched the devices around on the router and where ever I plug the SMP in it is always green.

TW, I think you’re confusing the Hub. The SMP is indeed only 10/100.

Yeah, Thats what I ment. Sorry if I didn’t communicate that well.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
TW, I think you’re confusing the Hub. The SMP is indeed only 10/100.

Yeah, sorry about that.  Got other things going on and my brain is crossfiring. :wink:

I was actually just about to come back and correct myself, but you beat me to it.

@engelsjn

Anyway, that shouldn’t matter anyway as I can connect mine to my 10/100 router and still stream BD over wired.  So there is still something wrong somewhere.

You can try rolling back the firmware to see if that makes any difference:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center

engelsjn wrote:

My router is auto adjusting the connection. The Stream box is connected to my router at 100mbit.

There has been some discussion on this issue.

This seems to be my issue exactly. Whats interesting is they have the same router as me. I’m wondering if its an issue with my specific router? I’ve been thinking about getting a WD 900. Maybe its time?

I would try putting a switch between your router and the streamer box, I had playback problems with high end mkv files and the problem was the streamer did not like how my router would buffer / transfer data from my nas box to the streamer.

I had a similar problem a short time after installation of a new unit. Changed the HDMI cable for a top of the range and all my problems went away. (Sorry if this answer has already been tried)

I appreciate all the info you guys are all giving me. What a great community. I did try a high end hdmi cable and that didn’t seem to make a difference. I’ll try the switch idea tomorrow. All I have is an older 10/100 switch so I’ll give that a shot and see how it goes. Will let you all know.

Thanks again,

John

Looks like I may have to find a gigabit switch to try. The 10/100 one I had made things much worse. The files stuttered much more. Will report back when I find a gigabit one to try.

I may have found something that seems to be making a huge difference. On my NAS under network settings I changed it to “Disable Jumbo Frame, the MTU value is 1500”. The default setting was “Enable Jumbo Frame, the MTU value is 4000”. Not sure why this is helping, but it seems to be. Will update after I do some more testing.

engelsjn wrote:

I may have found something that seems to be making a huge difference. On my NAS under network settings I changed it to “Disable Jumbo Frame, the MTU value is 1500”. The default setting was “Enable Jumbo Frame, the MTU value is 4000”. Not sure why this is helping, but it seems to be. Will update after I do some more testing.

Really?  Jumbos are the DEFAULT?   What brand / model of NAS is this?

That’s a *REALLY* dangerous setting to use as a default, and it’ll help people to know what you’re using.

Synology NAS DS212j. How is a setting like this “dangerous”.

Thanks for all of your help,

John

Because, by definition, jumbo frames are a violation of Ethernet standards.

And when jumbo frames are (correctly) used, they MUST be enabled with the same MTU on *every* device on the network.

Jumbo frames are probably the most misunderstood and improperly implemented technologies in all of home networking. You just experienced what can happen when they are (mis)-used.

1 Like