Lost+found. Please help me

Powered up as normal this morning.
MyBook DUO would not mount.
I waited about an hour and it mounted.
To my horror, I see there is a new folder on the drive called lost+found.
In lost+found is another 23 folders, numbered randomly, containing files that appear to be ‘out of place’.
what is this? In 25 years of computing this has never happened. Am I to conclude WD drives have a lifespan of 6 months? Very angry right now.

Here’s a good explanation of what lost+found is and how it got there.

Not sure what you mean since the My Book Live Duo product is about seven years old and hasn’t been manufactured since the 1st gen My Cloud drives came out.

1 Like

Thanks TonyPh12345.
Sorry, I’m using a mybook DUO (not live), and I bought it less than a year ago.

I’m fairly technical, but the article about UNIX is not for me. Probably not for well over 90% of users. I shouldn’t need to see a folder of lost+found. The drives shouldn’t fail in this manner and shouldn’t be losing where things are.

I can see there are files in there and what SEEMS to have happened is that the folder titles have been lost.
Quite astoundingly bad, or should I say disappointing, so I don’t upset people who’ve never seen this before or indeed see it a lot (with WD drives?).
As I say, never ever seen this before. Am I to put it down to the WD drive?

Well, as you say, it’s a whole different story for a My Book LIVE Duo versus a My Book Duo.

The My Book Live runs linux internally which would explain the lost & found in that case.

But since you’re using a My Book Duo, that can’t explain it. The file system is owned by the host. The My Book Duo won’t do that itself.

Are you using a Mac? If so, MacOS also creates lost+found folders when it finds corrupted filesystem data.

The lost+found link, BTW, is excellent. Thank you.

It was the USB attached drive of a EX2 Ultra, which might explain more.
Pity WD lose files like this. Makes me want to get rid of the whole lot.

BTW - whilst entering this info, the board logs me out every few minutes. No idea why. Probably shouldn’t. Odd.