Lost files on passport after downloading wd software update

Hi, Ayhan !!  Glad you are still trying to help me!!!  I did not try to copy or paste, because I think I tried that before and still got the message “the selected file cannot be opened.”  I have a feeling that I am dealing with a strict proprietary system, but the next time I have some time, I will try again to copy and paste and see what happens.  Thanks for the suggestion!!  Talk to you later . . .    Claudia

Hi, Moon1 . . .American Dynamics uses Tyco Video Products as their manufacturer, and the PDF file type shows up as a MP4 file type.  I am TOTALLY CLUELESS as to what this means !!!  ARRGGH!!!     Is this is of any help?   Claudia

Hi again Claudia,

mp4 is video or audio or both.

If you right click on the file then select properties, what does it say for type of file? (.???) what is in the brackets after the dot? And opens with?

You could click change here and then select another program. If only we knew what it was.

Ayhan

1 Like

Hi, Ayhan . . . Yes, if we only knew what it was . . . Har . . that was pretty good !!!  I will try to find out more about the file type using your instructions and get back with you.  I may have to contact the security system tech department to find out any more about American Dynamics or Tyco.  I’ll noodle around with your suggestions in the mean time.  Thanks again great tons for your help.    Claudia

Hello, Ayhan again . . . here are the answers (I hope) to your queries.  Perhaps they will help?  The MP4 file in this case is video only, no audio.  When I select properties, after right clicking on the PDF file in my passport, the “target type” is MP4.  

In the brackets, where it names the file, after the dot is MP4.  Opens with:  PDF Vista.  When I select "change’, it recommends 3 programs, which are Adobe Reader, Internet Explorer, and PDF Vista.  “Other programs” which are listed, but not recommended, are: Notepad, Paint, Windows Media Player, Windows Picture and  Fax Viewer and Word Pad. 

_ _I have tried using a couple of these, but I get the dreaded message “selected file cannot be opened.”  I’m scared at this point to select “change” because the last time I did that, it turned into a shortcut/icon on my laptop which could not be opened.  So, I just re-sent that puppy right back to its crate  on my passport, without supper!!  I am very frustrated at this point and fearful that I will mess up something even more if I keep poking it.  Any more thoughts?    I DO know that I am working with a proprietary system for playback,   but I used to be able to retrieve the files from my passport and then play them on the proprietary video player.  I can’t do it any more.  This is turning into an epistle, so thanks so much for your questions and help.  

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

I can understand how frustrating all this must be.

The (.mp4) would indicate that the file could be opened by windows media player. Did you try that one? If not it may be worth a go. Right click, Click properties, (Opens with) click change and select windows media player.

Ayhan

1 Like

I’m ba a a a ck, Ayhan !! 

Here’s the latest:  I did everything you said, and got the following messages, within the Windows Media Player  “television”:   “The selected file has an extension (.mp4) that is not recognized by Windows Media Player, but the player may still be able to play it.  Because the extension is unknown by the player, you should be sure that the file comes from a trustworthy source.  Do you want to try to play this content?” 

I checked the "yes"box, of course!

Then, still within the windows black “television screen”, it said:  “Windows Media Player cannot play the file.   The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.” 

Then I closed that window, and got an error message #C00D1199 when I asked for web help.  Then I was unable to go any further, so I closed the file from the player listing area, and changed it back to a PDF file in the passport, which is how it started.

This is the latest this evening . . . I think we’re cooked and don’t have anywhere else to go until I try to find someone at the security camera system tech support dept.  What  do you think?  (I remember when I had such a nice life!!)

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

Thought we might have been onto something there. But RATS.

It certainly looks like we’re cooked.

It may be worth a go… See what the tech support say. Hope they can help.

Regards

Ayhan

Well, Hey There, Ayhan , , ,

It’s double and triple RATS !!  I’ll keep you posted about my progress with tech support from the security camera company.  They are my last hope, alas.  I am very grateful to you for your steadfast assistance and hope to talk to you again in the future.  Triple kudos to you.  Until I hear from my tech support . . .

Best to You

Claudia

mmmm…I see, that is an .mp4 with a special codec, you can also try to open the files with another multimedia software, something like  VLC this is a free software with a huge amount of codecs, maybe that sofware would be able to open the file

Hi, Moon1

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a call in now to the security camera system tech dept. to see what they may suggest, and if they come up blank, I’ll download the VLC software.  Downloading another program has me twitchy right now, because these files became compromised after I downloaded something, but I’ll give it a good try, without the Passport being plugged in.

Thanks again very much!

Claudia

Hi Claudia.

Yes, I would def give VLC Media Player a go. It can play just about any video file. I did mention it in one of my earlier posts.

Let’s hope it does.

Regards

Ayhan

1 Like

Hi, Ayhan!!

I now realize that you mentioned this VLC player earlier, but I guess I didn’t understand at the time what the heck it was. Plus, I’m still very antsy about another download, and I already have 2 or 3 other players on my computer, so I guess another one won’t hurt, huh?  How do I get this player downloaded?  I will do this only if my tech support person can’t come through.  I e-mailed them earlier today and haven’t heard anything yet. Once again, Ayhan, I appreciate your steadfast advice!!  And thanks again.

All The Best,

Claudia

Hi, again, Moon 1

Thanks again for the VLC player suggestion. . .  Ayhan had mentioned this earlier, but I was so dense, I didn’t understand what it meant or what he was saying.  I have learned a little bit over the past few days!!!  As I mentioned, I will download this player if my security camera company tech can’t suggest anything for me.  I greatly appreciate your help.

Claudia  (less dense than the day before, and the day before that and the day before that and . . .)

Hi Claudia,

Any news yet?

You can search for VLC Media Player on GOOGLE and you can then download it from the VideoLAN website

Regards

Ayhan

Hi, Ayhan !!!

Interestingly enough, NO, I have not heard a word from the security camera tech dept.  Makes me go H-M-M-M-!!!  Don’t know quite what to make of it.  Perhaps tomorrow I’ll hear something.  You KNOW I’ll  keep you posted.  Thanks for the instructions on getting the player downloaded, which I’ll do if I need to.  Nice to hear from you.  Talk to you later.

Best To You

Claudia

Hi, Ayhan . . . Can you believe it?  Nothing yet from my sec. camera tech people.  Wondering if they just want to make a sale and then . . .Oh well.  I have re-e-mailed them today.  Hope this finds you well.

Talk to you soon I hope,

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

I would have expected at least an email back as an acknowledgement. 

Ah well. Such is life!

Regards

Ayhan

Ayhan;    DITTO !!!  This is what is making me think the guy is out of town or something, but someone in the office should have told him at least!  Que Sera Sera, you think??  More later.

Best To You

Claudia

Hi again Claudia.

Certainly looks like it. Ah well…

More later…

Regards

Ayhan