Lost Access to Shares after Twonky Update

This is exactly the problem I have but don’t confuse things by describing it as a Twonky Update, even is actually the case.

I have a WD My Cloud NAS (P/N WD8CTL0020HWT-00) which has been running perfectly well backing up the files on 2 laptops on my home network, both running Win7. Using Windows Explorer all folders (Shares) were visible and accessible on this NAS on both laptops.

On Thursday last week a WD MyCloud update appeared on my screen (after a restart) offering bug fixes. Bug fixes my giddy aunt!! This caused a complete change in the way the NAS was to operate requiring me to sign up to a WD2go.com service to provide access to my NAS “from all my mobile devices”. NOT A CHANCE I don’t use or want access from any other devices, I just want to back up my files and when I try to connect to the NAS using either Windows Explorer or WDSmartware (which I had used for my backup system - ACCESS IS DENIGHED!!
The NAS is now invisible to my laptop. But wait a minute, all files and folders are still visible to the other laptop which has NOT had this update installed.
WD Support so far has offered no solution other than Factory Restore of the NAS which has been ineffective.
Some investigation brought up this:
SMB Permission problem with new firmware update

however, if there is a fault in an updated firmware file installed on the NAS, why does it not affect both laptops??
My laptop is still affected despite I have done the following:

• run a windows System Restore to a condition prior to the update,
  • removed all WD software
  • reinstalled earlier version software
  • run System Factory Restore on the NAS

Can anybody advise a fix for this please? Any help much appreciated.

PS I cannot advise the update version. The NAS firmware version now is v04.04.03-113
The earlier laptop software was version 2.4.6.3

Thanks, Jerry