Losing Connection to Sharespace

This problem has been posted before under “Challenges copying files” but has been turned into a read-only post for some reason… Anyway the issue hasnt been resolved and the problem is…

I am currently deployed to afghanistan right now and I have my 8tb sharespace set up in my tent so all my guys can have access to all the media we share. I have a windows 7 laptop so being unable to connect to my sharespace wired i need to copy new data onto it over the wirelss network i have set up. The problem is that when I start a new copy I know it is only a matter of time until i will lose connection and have to wait until my computer regains that connection until i am able to continue with the copy. Even after that it is just another matter of time until i will need to do the process over again to get any progess on the copy. There is no consistency in when the connection will be lost.  We have only 4 computers hooked up to the network and all have the same connection issues when trying to transfer data.

This is becoming very frustrating. I have a lot of data to transfer over and I need to constantly babysit my laptop to get anything done. On top of the very slow transfer rates (2.6 mb/sec) this problem is becoming too much.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem it would definetaly help me out with the over 1.2 tb of data i still have to transfer! Thanks in advance for any help.

Well first off based on the date, it looks like the thread you are discussing is pretty old so it was likely made read-only so people didn’t dig up old threads ( necroposting is bad form on any community).

Is this issue exclusive to just that one laptop, or does it happen to other users on the same network? It sounds like this could be a case of interfearance (another device is running on a similar channel as your wireless signal), or it could be an issue with the configuration of the wireless on the laptop itself if it is just on that one PC.  When you reply let us know that and if it is just the PC as many details about it as possible. If it is not just the PC, provide us with the information about your router, and all the devices currently connected to the network.

Also make sure you aren’t connecting it to a larger network than the device can handle as this can lead to a number of unexpected effects.

Thank you for the reply! Sorry its taken me a few days to get back. No surprise it is not that easy to get on the internet over here.

So anyway the problem seems to occur on the only two laptops that ever COPY data onto the sharespace a new dell and hp. I havent tested what would happen on the other two on the network they dont use the sharespace that much. I do not have any type of internet lines hooked up to the router it is only the sharespace that is hooked up. I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 gigabit router that is broadcasting on both channels 2.4 & 5 GHz. There are a total of four computers that have access to the router and the sharespace and probably a max of two using it at one time normally only one at a time from how our schedules are.

Since you brought up interfearance I am now wondering if it would be a problem with the two channels being used instead of just one? I know that my hp is connected to the 2.4 GHz channel while my friend is using the 5 Ghz channel. I will try having him disconnect from that channel and see if there is a way to shut the spare channel off completely. I’m sure there is a way.

Like i said thank you very much for the reply I really really appreciate the help. I have a lot of stuff to transfer over still and would love the free space on my smaller hard drives  so i can load up on ever more stuff to bring home with me! ha If there is one good thing about being deployed its all the media everyone shares.

If there is any more info you need let me know and i will try to get it to you as fast as i can.

Thanks, Ryan

Well based on your setup the first thing I would try is to take wireless out of the equation entirely. Hard-wire the computers into the router and see if the issue remains. There could be some form of interference, or an unknown incompatibility. There could also be security issues if you use a key. Another thing to check is to see if you have any kind of firewalls either on the computers or the router itself. These can cause all sorts of random behavior.

After hard-wiring the computers into the system the issue no longer remains. I looked into some of the firewall setting that are set up on my laptop and couldn’t find anything that was being blocked. Since my computer has never been hooked up to an internet connection I havent really worried too much about the firewall settings and from what i saw my router is a trusted source for my laptop. Although I was only looking into the basic settings nothing advanced as I really don’t want to mess anything up.

Ill admit i never thought of hard-wiring into my router as i thought my computer would reject the sharespace just like it would if you would directly link it into a windows 7 laptop. Obviously a newbie for not understanding it would not see the sharespace that way. So as of now my problem is solved. It is no problem for me to be constantly hard wired in as everything is much much faster that way anyway. But as for the wireless connectivity issue it still remains.

Thanks for the help anyways Ardvark! I easily got all the media that i was attempting to transfer done within a day of hard-wiring into my router. And that saved me a lot of headache!