Login required when browsing to WDMYCLOUD

Here is my question, as my subject might lead you to direct me to the dashboard tool, but that is NOT the issue.

I have some folders on my device, that I setup through the dashboard utility, for different purposes of storage, such as backup files, install files, etc. 

Now I am on my PC, I open a Windows Browser. I see my WDMYCLOUD in my network, I click on it, I see all my folders, I click on one of the folders, that I want to browse into, but it wants me to login. WHICH I EXPECT.

However, when I enter the username and password, it keeps stating it is wrong, but I know it is not, as it works fine through the dashboard.

The only thing I can suspect as the issue is that it is putting my computer as the “Domain\username” when it attempts to login. In the past, I would simply use the option of “Use another account” and it had logged in before. But it seems to be always defaulting to using my PC’s domain.

So my question, What am I doing wrong? Because I am 99.9% sure I accessed it in the past by “use another account” to login.

Thanks so much!

Scott

Hello Pyronica, welcome to the WD Community. If you remove the password to the private folder, are you able to map it? 

How to create a Public or Private Share on a WD My Cloud, Mirror, EX2, or EX4 Personal Cloud drive

Do you have several users setup on your cloud and all accessing from one PC’s account? One PC account = One device share account. Go to your PC’s control panel where you’ll see manage windows credentials, “Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\Credential Manager” and clear any wdmycloud logins that you can find then retry.

Nazar78 - Thanks for the great idea. I checked it on my local machine, removed the one that was there. Reattempted and no luck.

Each user has their specific rights as well as username and password for their specific folder. The issue seems to be that it wants to use the “Domain” of my PC, which is not obviously the Cloud devices domain. For all the secure folders, I have a username and password that “should” let me browse to all of them, but no joy. :frowning:

The Public Folder for example, has No issue at all when I click it, which makes sense, as it has no security on the folder. 

I just tested one of my other folders, that wanted a username and password, and it opened up once I put the credentials in… ??? that makes no sense, why one folder I can log into but another I cannot, and I verified that my account has access rights. Color me puzzled

Could I need to add the domain name of the Cloud box, and if so, how do I identify the domain of it?

if you connect to a public share that could be the issue brcause as Nazar pointed out one PC use can only connect as one mycloud user so once you conect to public that is who you are.

different versions of windows seem to handle the domain issue differently, you can try .\username or \username

@larryg0 - but the public folder should be accessible by all, and requires no username and password. But the password protected one has 2 accounts that can access it. 

So let me ask if you are saying that if Computer 1 and Computer 2 have two unique accounts, two unique login username and password, but only one of them can access the shared password protected folder at any time? 

Thanks!
Scott

Pyronica wrote:

@larryg0 - but the public folder should be accessible by all, and requires no username and password. But the password protected one has 2 accounts that can access it. 

The problem happens when you have two or more samba shares of different logins and you tried to open both (doesn’t have to be simultaneously) from one PC account session. Once you open a password protected share via its network netbios hostname, windows sometimes cache its login and try to use it for the same server. To access another samba share of a different login, you’ll need to logoff then relogin. Or use its ip (cloud’s internal ip) to access via cifs URI from windows explorer ie. \192.168.1.200\another_user_share_name.

So let me ask if you are saying that if Computer 1 and Computer 2 have two unique accounts, two unique login username and password, but only one of them can access the shared password protected folder at any time? 

Both PC can access that password protected share at the same time. Doesn’t matter if the accounts are unique or not as long as they have permissions. The issue was with only one PC and one Windows account trying to access multiple samba shares with different logins from that PC.

Thanks!
Scott

See my reply above…

the issue with the public share is if you connect to that one 1st then that becomes your user and you can’t access any privae shares. as long as you connect to the private share 1st you are ok

larry0 - I want to follow you on this more. So how do I correct this? Will a reboot of my box do the trick?

maybe and an easy 1st try

if you have any public shares set to re-connect at login you may need to disable them

if you have smartware or anything else set to a puublic share you may need to disable that

you may need to clear credentials in control panel

personally I would set all shares to private, except the public share which can’t be set and not use the public share for anything