Logical Scroll Row by Row from Left to Right

When viewing content icons in my media library the cursor moves from left to right but then stops at the end of the row. The user then has to move the cursor down to run through the icons in the second row but you the have to scroll in reverse from right to left. I notice this a lot in online services and photo folders.

A logical scroll ‘row by row’ would require less IRC commands making the selection process much easier. In other words we can just keep scrolling right.

Sorry this wasn’t easy to explain but hopefully my image below will help.

Logical scroll.jpg

[Mod: Moved post]

pretty simple xml theme edit, change  move=“page”  to  move=“row”

Hi Joey,

Thanks for your reply. Currently I’m using the default theme and although I’m confident in editing most things can you point me inthe right direction please? i.e. where do I find xml file I need to edit?

Many thanks

You can extract the xml’s from the GPL code… or from here

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Stock-OSD-Mochi-2-01-86/m-p/642525#M25989

as an example … modify these 2 xmls rv_large_video_browse_page.xml   and  rv_video_browse_page.xml

inside both edit and rename page to row   (move=“row”)   (Recommed using Notepad++)

Also you must delete  hormove=“1”

<?xml version="1.0"?>                              <listbox valkey="browselist" autoenter="1" autoswitch="0" move="page"      cols="4" rows="4" lbmask="u"  loop\_scroll="1" turbo\_trigger="10" turbo\_multi="10" hormove="1" />

Now with these 3 files (you must also include the meta.xml) highlight all 3 right click zip them (you must not use any compression.  eg. most zip program call this “Store”) give the zip a name eg. Slinky.zip

rv_large_video_browse_page.xml

rv_video_browse_page.xml

meta.xml

To install the theme, , open your web browser (I don’t recommend using IE9 or 8, there have been issues), then type your SMP’s IP address to open the Web UI.   Type in your password (the default is “admin”), click on the box next to “I accept” and then click on LOGIN, then click on “Appearance”, then click on “Browse” and navigate to where you saved the “Slinky.zip” file, then click on “Open”.

Click on “Submit”, then once the Web UI finishes uploading the theme, on you SMP press “Setup” on your remote, select “Appearance”, then select “User Interface Themes”, select “Slinky” then when prompted select “Apply theme”.

1 Like

Alright Joey,

Thanks very much for this, it’s greatly appreciated! 

Just to clarify…, when I edit the XML as shown in your example above I need to change the existing line from 'move=“page” to move=“row”??

Also one other thing, I recently rolled back to the previous firmware, presumably I need the XML’s from that version??

Will give this a try over the weekend but will await your confirmation of the above first.

Cheers chap! :wink:

Slinky_McVelvet wrote:

Alright Joey,

Thanks very much for this, it’s greatly appreciated! 

Just to clarify…, when I edit the XML as shown in your example above I need to change the existing line from 'move=“page” to move=“row”??

Correct

Also one other thing, I recently rolled back to the previous firmware, presumably I need the XML’s from that version??

No, the XML’s you have will be fine   :smiley:

Correction above … you also must delete hormove=“1”

1 Like

Top man!

So the other line you mentioned will read:

cols=“4” rows=“4” lbmask=“u”  loop_scroll=“1” turbo_trigger=“10” turbo_multi=“10”/>

???

Sorry to be a pain! :flushed:

no probs :smiley:

From this…

<listbox valkey=“browselist” autoenter=“1” autoswitch=“0” move=“page” 
    cols=“4” rows=“4” lbmask=“u”  loop_scroll=“1” turbo_trigger=“10” turbo_multi=“10” hormove=“1” />

to this

<listbox valkey=“browselist” autoenter=“1” autoswitch=“0” move=“row”
    cols=“4” rows=“4” lbmask=“u”  loop_scroll=“1” turbo_trigger=“10” turbo_multi=“10” />

1 Like

Hi Joey,

Thanks again for your assistance, although I would very much like to try this code out and hopefully improve the functionality of my device it would seem that one major piece of information has been overlooked in this post.

I’m not saying that you’re not aware of this yourself but I think it is important to tell other newbie’s like myself incase they go ahead and start making changes and then possible regret it.

I was looking for the GPL code as I was not quite sure exactly how to extract the XML from my own device. I now know that it can be downloaded from WD but the caveat is as follows:-

If you use this source code to update the device, it will be treated as a third party user-modified firmware. We recommend using firmware released by Western Digital only. Using third party or user-modified firmware will cause malfunction and will void your product warranty. Once you install third party or user-modified firmware, even if the product is rolled back to the original firmware from WD, access to certain features will be disabled.

I will keep a copy of this post and try it out once my warranty has expired. I am tempted to test it sooner but at present I am still considering returning it for a refund.

I guess I’m stuffed for the time being…, sorry to have wasted your time! :cry:

Let me explain, to help you understand and to clear up any confusion and misconceptions.

1. If you download the GPL code package and extract the entire contents to a USB flashdrive and perform a FIRMWARE update with it… then yes, you will void your warranty and lose hardware keys for various services (eg. Netflix)

That’s what the WD WARNING is stating … IF YOU INSTALL IT AS FIRMWARE 

I DID NOT tell you, or provide you, with any instructions for INSTALLING THE GPL FIRMWARE !

2. If you download the GPL code package and extract only the files that control the User Interface (eg. xml’s, graphics etc)  Which i have already for you and other users … that’s what this link contains … XML’s and Images: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i29o9ib9qyj87j2/resource.7z these files are used to control the user interace aka. “THEMES”.

which I DID provide instructions for editing xml’s and installing THEMES.

Editing and submitting these zipped “THEME” files via the WEB Gui is fully allowed and does not void warranty or alter anything else on your device except the user interface. It is NOT INSTALLING FIRMWARE

All the “THEMES” you see here for the WDTV LIVE SMP and WDTV LIVE HUB are using xml’s and graphics extracted from the GPL code for the purpose of THEMES.

In closing… editing xml’s & graphics (Theming) changes the appearance of the user interface and does not disable or alter any features on the device … and 100% DOES NOT VOID WARRANTY

@Slinky_McVelvet, I think you are a bit confused here. Joey has stated it above, but as an extremely grateful user of the fine work the themers on this board have done, I would like to clarify as well for you and anyone else who reads the thread or has the same question.

You have two very different things here.

1) One is theming, or modifying the user interface, which is freely allowed by WD.

2)The other is modifying the Firmware, which is changing the internal behavior of the device itself. WD states that will void your warranty.

The hundreds or probably thousands of us, who have simply installed themes on our WD Devices, have added modified code to our boxes that altered the user interface. This is fine, and WD has even pushed the fact that coders could write new themes for the devices by modifying the code for the UI (the XMLs and the JPGs), and then share them. You will notice that these themes are freely distributed on these boards.

FW modification is a completely different thing. You know when you are updating your Firmware as you are asked if you would like to upgrade the version and then the device goes through the UPGRADE process. This does not happen when you add a theme. You install it, and then you have a modified user experience.

WD’s warning state that if you use the GPL code to UPDATE the device, it will be treated as third party firmware. Luckily for you, all the incredible and generous coders here, as well as the slews of folks who have installed the great themes on this board, you are not updating the device. You are just changing the front end with the XMLs and some of the graphics.

I am assuming you have done a Firmware upgrade on the box when you bought it to get to the most current version. If so, then you know the difference between the two. A modified FW upgrade comes via a thumbdrive, and adds / removes options, apps and modifies the entire behavior of the product. During the process the device will tell you the percent updated and then reboot multiple times. Once completed you can then go to the configuration menu and see that you are now running a newer FW version. A theme just alters the way you view and access that firmware backend. It does not require a reboot, and when you look at the configuration menu and go to check the FW version, you will find it exactly the same as where you were at before.

Joey has provided the code that is JUST FOR THE INTERFACE (THEMES), so is completely allowed for modification. When uploaded via the web interface on the SMP, there is no way to alter the FW. That mechanism is built specifically to upload theme code to your SMP.

I hope that helps make this clear for you. I am now and have always been super grateful to the amazing coders on this board. Their generosity and creativity has made these devices truly customizable and enhanced all of our experiences. The code work that Joey and others have done has not in any way voided their or any of our warranties, it has only enriched the product for the rest of the end-users here.

Best of luck, and a highly encourage you to keep your SMP and modify the XMLs to alter the interface in a way that suits your needs. I only hope that you will share your work with the rest of us!

-P

1 Like

just to join the party :slight_smile:

changing the theme/apparence is definetely allowed

as WD has even provided support and ways to change the theme running on your device

you may also notice there’s even an entire sub-forum WD has provided related to themes

and if you go to the appearance settings menu on the device, WD has even hosted a couple of theme’s for direct download from wd servers, and they include a few from forum users PsychoTHC, and Julios

so to speak as one that has done all the above

I’ve done theme’s, I’ve done custom firmware, I’ve modified GPL code, etc

my recommendation is to skip the GPL code entirely, it’s overkill for what you want to do

GPL code contains stuff like the linux kernel source code

and other binary files that you would need to create your own firmware

myself and joey have already provided all the xml’s and graphics needed

links can be found here http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Stock-OSD-Mochi-2-01-86/m-p/642525#M25989

also be sure to check out the sub forum

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/bd-p/hub_themes

there’s a lot of great user designed themes available

1 Like

thanks guys :smiley:

Just in Closing here’s the THEME edit  http://download1644.mediafire.com/z9v24loudefg/hz66ojewzgdi0e5/moverow.zip

26kb download … contains two edited xml’s + the required meta.xml

rv_large_video_browse_page.xml

rv_video_browse_page.xml

meta.xml

Instructions for Installing a “THEME” from Page (1)

To install the theme, , open your web browser (I don’t recommend using IE9 or 8, there have been issues), then type your SMP’s IP address to open the Web UI.   Type in your password (the default is “admin”), click on the box next to “I accept” and then click on LOGIN, then click on “Appearance”, then click on “Browse” and navigate to where you saved the “moverow.zip” file, then click on “Open”.

Click on “Submit”, then once the Web UI finishes uploading the theme, on you SMP press “Setup” on your remote, select “Appearance”, then select “User Interface Themes”, select “moverow” then when prompted select “Apply theme”.

1 Like

JoeySmyth wrote:

Let me explain, to help you understand and to clear up any confusion and misconceptions.

1. If you download the GPL code package and extract the entire contents to a USB flashdrive and perform a FIRMWARE update with it… then yes, you will void your warranty and lose hardware keys for various services (eg. Netflix)

That’s what the WD WARNING is stating … IF YOU INSTALL IT AS FIRMWARE 

I DID NOT tell you, or provide you, with any instructions for INSTALLING THE GPL FIRMWARE !

2. If you download the GPL code package and extract only the files that control the User Interface (eg. xml’s, graphics etc)  Which i have already for you and other users … that’s what this link contains … XML’s and Images: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i29o9ib9qyj87j2/resource.7z these files are used to control the user interace aka. “THEMES”.

which I DID provide instructions for editing xml’s and installing THEMES.

Editing and submitting these zipped “THEME” files via the WEB Gui is fully allowed and does not void warranty or alter anything else on your device except the user interface. It is NOT INSTALLING FIRMWARE

All the “THEMES” you see here for the WDTV LIVE SMP and WDTV LIVE HUB are using xml’s and graphics extracted from the GPL code for the purpose of THEMES.

In closing… editing xml’s & graphics (Theming) changes the appearance of the user interface and does not disable or alter any features on the device … and 100% DOES NOT VOID WARRANTY

Hi Joey,

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me, I was getting quite excited about giving your theme edit a whirl and of course due to my misunderstanding of your second post in this thread where you mentioned extracting the XML from the GPL code I totally misunderstood all that followed…, sorry!

At no time did I think you were advising me to install the GPL code that much was very clear. Obviously after getting confused about where to find the necessary XML’s and after reading the warning on the WD pages about voiding warranties if someone used the GPL code I quite innocently believed this to mean extracting the XML files from it too!

In summary, I do understand the difference between themes and firmware and I certainly didn’t want to give anyone the impression that a user could not use your themes or anyone else’s for that matter, as I say it was just my misinterpretation of the WD disclaimer and a misunderstanding about extracting files from the GPL code.

Please be aware that as a newbie I don’t always understand the terminology used by the seasoned pro’s on this website and often people’s advice can be quite confusing and hard to follow. Whilst you have done an admirable job of explaining the necessary steps I need to take to achieve my goal, I guess I am still finding some of the advice confusing, hence why I needed clarification on some of your previous steps.

I do however feel that I now have enough information to go by and so once I have read and digested the barrage of comments that followed your latest post I’ll set about giving this another try.

Thanks again and my apology to anyone who might have misinterpreted my previous post.

Slinky

Oh WOW…!

Thanks Joey, man after reading the other comments and advice here I felt like I was in for a whole month on the naughty step. LOL! :laughing:

Of course I now realize that you were all just trying to help me understand that WD disclaimer, boy do I wish I hadn’t read that?!

Thanks to everyone above for your valuable advice it is very much appreciated.

Once I’ve seen the theme edit that Joey has done for me no doubt it will spark off some new ideas for me. I do graphic design as a freelancer and I would quite like to get involved in some creations of my own at some point. Maybe just a custom backdrop to start with and hopefully move to something more exciting.

I don’t know what your background is Joey but If you ever want any graphics yourself, feel free to ask.

You can see some of my older work here as an example (hope this is allowed)?

Gallery Artwork

All the best

Slinky

OK no probs Slinky i’m glad it’s clear now :smiley:

Very nice Gallery Artwork

Regards

Joey

Back to your original thumbnail scrolling request …

My Alaska Theme :http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/ALASKA-RESURFACE-REMIX-LIGHT-DARK/td-p/327445

does it …  plus another modification to reduce navigation key-presses (up and down navigation as well)

1. Press Left or Right will navigate through the thumbnails going down to the next row (when it reaches the last row … it goes to the next “Page”)

2. It also scrolls Up or Down to navigate to the next row   (Left and Right Navigation will still works per normal)

example:

[The mod i posted to you] Using Left / Right Navigation … from Thumbnail 1 to 16 = 15 key presses

[Alaska Theme Mod] Using Up / Down / Left / Right …from Thumbnail 1 to 16 = 6 key presses

slink.jpg

Alaska Theme is a Non-Moviesheet Theme … Upload it and Enjoy (No Moviesheets / No 3rd Party Software Required)

Works on the WDTV Live Hub and is SMP “zipped ready” for upload :smiley:  

1 Like

Ooh looky look…, that’s YUMMYLICIOUS!!!

Fantastic work on that one Joey, I will try both of these later this evening all being well.

Thanks again for all your help with this post, I’m sure others will be flocking hear in the thousands once they’ve spotted your Alaska theme!

So when people talk about movie sheets they’re not actually referring to the synopsis info that the SMP does then?! That’s interesting to know, I’ve been calling them movie sheets by mistake! Doh!

I had read through some of the posts of the themes forum and read about using third party software like ‘thumbgen’ etc. but didn’t fully understand the point of using it. I have much to learn…

Cheers for the comments about my artwork! :wink:

moviesheets in a nutshell are pictures

above in joey’s alaska

you have thumbnails

and xml movie data being displayed

but no moviesheet in the above “Alaska” theme

KAD79 wrote:

moviesheets in a nutshell are pictures

above in joey’s alaska

you have thumbnails

and xml movie data being displayed

but no moviesheet in the above “Alaska” theme

Hi KAD79,

Thanks for explaining that, so with regards the WD Mochi theme which I currently use I have thumbnails and XML movie data together with the movie sheet backdrop photos?

So with regards to Joeys comment above…

Alaska Theme is a Non-Moviesheet Theme … Upload it and Enjoy (No Moviesheets / No 3rd Party Software Required)

How does the WD display moviesheets in the Mochi theme? Sorry for my confusion over this!!