Logging Features?

I just switched from having a FiOS router that I could get very good firewall and system logs from, to a cable service with a DOCES 3 modem.  I got a WD 900n to supply wireless and the 7 ports are just what I need.  But  the logging features are slim.  

I’m looking for a good way to log who on my network is going to what.  this is especially important since some online video streaming embeds Skype components that create outbound connections.  On my FiOS router it was easy for me to see those connections and drop them.  How can I do this on the WD 900n?  And is there any good tutorials for setting up the QoS priorities and firewall settings?  

Thanks,

Ray

I think there is not a lot more you can do with the logging features.

Thanks for the response Alucardx23.

That is unfortunate.  I know WD reads through these posts, so I’m going to list some suggestions.

1. Add better logging features.  (I’ll caveat this by saying that I work with commerical firewalls every day, so to me this is important) The router has a SPI firewall, give us output that is more meaningful of what’s happening on the box.

2. Add a perfomance monitoring dash screen so I can tell what my UP/Down performace is, base on QoS queues.

3. Add a dash screen that not only shows what devices are connected, but gives me some choices like disconnect, or rename (especially the ones that show up in the clients list as “Unknown”)

4. Change MAC Filtering to apply only to WiFi devices.  IMO, it’s useless to have MAC Filtering on  hardwired devices in my home.

5. Give us a more detailed, deep dive Configuration Guide.  I realize that most manufacturers of consumer devices such as this, view the end user as wanting a dumbed down, foolproof setup.  I get that, and that’s fine for those people.

But I think there is an increasing number of home consumers, such as myself, that are much more savy, and have a need for more details.

And I’m not just talking about us network geeks.  More and more people are using their network for VoIP, Media streaming, and home automation.  The additional information would be welcomed.

Rayzorx wrote:

Thanks for the response Alucardx23.

That is unfortunate.  I know WD reads through these posts, so I’m going to list some suggestions.

1. Add better logging features.  (I’ll caveat this by saying that I work with commerical firewalls every day, so to me this is important) The router has a SPI firewall, give us output that is more meaningful of what’s happening on the box.

1. Add a perfomance monitoring dash screen so I can tell what my UP/Down performace is, base on QoS queues.

1. Add a dash screen that not only shows what devices are connected, but gives me some choices like disconnect, or rename (especially the ones that show up in the clients list as “Unknown”)

1. Change MAC Filtering to apply only to WiFi devices.  IMO, it’s useless to have MAC Filtering on  hardwired devices in my home.

1. Give us a more detailed, deep dive Configuration Guide.  I realize that most manufacturers of consumer devices such as this, view the end user as wanting a dumbed down, foolproof setup.  I get that, and that’s fine for those people.

But I think there is an increasing number of home consumers, such as myself, that are much more savy, and have a need for more details.

And I’m not just talking about us network geeks.  More and more people are using their network for VoIP, Media streaming, and home automation.  The additional information would be welcomed.

I agree with all of these, but #2 in particular - times a million. One of the easiest ways to figure out if something funky is going on with a machine on the network is to check current activity on the router. I bought an N750 and I think I’ll wind up returning it because I really dislike the lack of bandwidth usage information provided by the router.