"Loading OS" boot issues after OS patching/reboots/etc

This is similar to the post " http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Sentinel-DX4000/Boot-Problems/m-p/494092/highlight/true#M924" which has been dead for a few months, so posting another thread to see if anyone has any recent insight.

I have a 12TB DX4000 which runs fine, and attached to it is a WD 3TB My Book Essential USB Drive.  When the OS automatically patches itself, the OS does not restart properly.  It hangs on “Loading OS…” and if you power of the DX4000, disconnect the 3TB USB drive then restart, the DX4000 starts up fine.  This workaround is successful, but quite frankly is a real pain in the rear due to the frequency of patching.

Does anyone know why this occurs or a better workaround, and if not, does anyone have any recommendations for a 3 or 4TB USB drive which does not suffer this rebooting problem?  I would have thought I’d be safe sticking in the WD family of drives, but apparently not.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris

It sounds to me as if your external drive is bootable. Try deleting, renaming or moving the autorun file if there is one in the root of the external drive.

Nice thought, but unfortunately there is nothing like that in the root.  Only system types things are a $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information…

Found a few other instances of folks having issues with My Essentials 3TB causing a Windows box to fail on loading (not exclusive to DX4000)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27326927-New-USB-3.0-3TB-Western-Digital-My-Book-Hangs-at-POST.

I don’t suppose its possible to get into the BIOS of the DX4000 and check its boot order settings is it?

hmm,

is ist possible that the usb Drive ist testet at startup by the Server BS against faults ? like in Win 7 ? it might last long at big drives…

No idea… I’ve just resigned myself to the fact that whenever OS issues require patching, I’ll need to manually restart the DX4000 the next day after unplugging the USB backup drive.

Some have mentioned that the USB drive may be formatted as a boot drive/etc.  A while back, I disconnected the 3TB USB drive, hooked it up to a workstation, and use a GParted boot DVD to nuke the drive, reformat it, and then reconnect it to the DX4000 - made no difference.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this or found a large USB drive that will still allow the DX4000 to reboot properly?