Loading music cd's to My Cloud 4T

Most efficient way? That’s tricky.  But here’s a basic guide to what you need to consider.

You will need some ripping software to pull the music tracks off the CD and onto a hard disk.

The ripper will probably be able to fetch metadata (track names, artist, album name, date, genre, album artwork etc etc) from online sources. But be aware that this data is frequently wrong…

You will benefit from a media library manager to help organise your music, and manipulate metadata, change format, etc. This media library manager may include the ripper.

Ripping is a tedious task, and you do not want to do it more than once. So I would strongly recommend that you rip to a lossless audio format (that can perfectly reconstruct the file as it appears on the CD, with no loss of quality). I choose to use FLAC to do this. If you need to use a lossy compression format (MP3, AAC etc) to fit all your music onto a portable device, then transcoded to a parallel directory and keep the original FLAC files.

I would recommend you rip your music into a simple, three-level file hierarchy

AlbumArtist/Album/Track# TrackTitle

This echoes the physical hierarchy of your CD collection, so it’s easy to re-rip a CD if necessary.

The media library manager will allow you to view a logical sorting of your collection using the metadata.

I recommend prefixing the track title with the track number, using a leading zero format, as some media players only allow sorting by filename, rather than metadata, and the leading zero means that tracks are listed in the correct order (rather than 1, 11 … 19, 2 etc).

Once you have ripped your music, you can transfer it to your MyCloud. I prefer to rip to local disk, and add it to my MyCloud later, as I only have a 100Mpbs Ethernet, and ripping directly to NAS slows the rip down significantly.

Now that my library is completely ripped and moved to MyCloud, I add new CDs by ripping to local disk, sorting the metadata, adding artwork, doing volume analysis and compressing to parallel MP3 drive before I move the new CD to the MyCloud library.

You need to consider where to put your media on the MyCloud. If you put in in the Public share, anyone with access to your local network will be able to add, modify or delete your media. If you put it in a Private share, only specified users will have the access rights you give them. Whether you put it in the Public share, or a Private share, the DLNA media server, Twonky, will still be able to find it and stream it to DLNA clients.

There are many ripping and library management tools out there, depending on your computing platform.

I have an old Windows XP machine, and I use Exact Audio Copy for ripping and MediaMonkey for library management. MM will also rip, but I prefer the error correction reporting that EAC provides.

Once your CDs are ripped, and arranged in a nice physical library, you can get Twonky to make them available to stream to UPnP/DLNA media clients in your local network.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/FAQ-Twonky-DLNA-Media-Server-Setup-amp-Use/td-p/858810

If you enable remote access to your MyCloud, you can use the WD MyCloud app to stream them when your away from home. You need to ensure your broadband link has adequate bandwidth to support streaming, and check that you won’t break any data volume limits in your service agreement. If accessing via a mobile phone connection (3,4 or 5G), you should check your data volume charging agreement; streaming gobbles data.

2 Likes