Load Cycle Count -Issue persists on My cloud drives

So it seems that the same issue, where WD green drives suffer from a high “Load_Cycle_Count” also applies to the new my cloud drives.

For those who are not aware might want to read up on other WD forums or the internet. The count seems to go up very quickly for intellig green drives causing the drives to fail.

you can see your load cycle count by using the command: smartctl -A /dev/sda1

through ssh console to the drive.

I’ve had the drives for 3 days and im already at 80

alirz1 wrote:

So it seems that the same issue, where WD green drives suffer from a high “Load_Cycle_Count” also applies to the new my cloud drives.

Oh, HECK no!   Not even CLOSE!   :slight_smile:

80 LC’s in three days is NOTHING compared to the Green drives.  

I’ve got about the same average as you on my Cloud + Red Drive, but compare that to my MBL (which uses a Green drive):

193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 053 053 000 Old_age Always - 442037

At 30 per day, that compares to 15,000 days, or 40 years-worth of LC’s on the Cloud!  :laughing:

Just for giggles, I looked at both Green drives in the My Book Live Duo.   The LCC’s just crossed the 500,000 mark.

My MBLD spends the vast majority of its time asleep (and LCC’s don’t clock up when asleep).   I’ve had it since launch in January of 2012, so at about 21 months, that’s about 800 LCCs PER DAY.    Compare that to the WD RED drive at only 30 per day?  Not even a fair comparison.  :)

Compare this, again, to the LCC count on my QNAP NAS that uses Non-WD drives (SAMSUNG HD204UI 1AQ1)

225 Load_Cycle_Count 100 100 000 4568 OK

This NAS came online in July 2011, and is ONLY a Backup NAS – so it’s asleep for 22-23 hours per day.

That amounts to about 7-8 LCCs per day.

So, yeah, the Cloud is higher, but I’ve using the Cloud a lot more than the QNAP.   :slight_smile:

An interesting metric is the ratio of LCCs per Power-On-Hours.

WD Black in Linux Server: 0.003 LCCs per POH
On my WD Cloud: 1.114 LCCs per POH
On my Samsungs in QNAP: 1.828 LCCs per POH
On my WD MBL: 16.090 LCCs per POH
On my WD Duo: 30.896 LCCs per POH

Thanks. That’s great analysis… Yeh I know the LLC is not as bad as the MBL but I thought it still seemed a bit high.
But what you mentioned makes sense.

On another note the “wdmcserver” , “wdphotodbmerger” and especially the “convert” process keep the drive awake for long periods at a time.

I had created another thread about it. While I know how to stop that process. There is the “wdmc.xml” file that I’ve been trying to play with to perhaps make the wdmc server/photo scan and convert a less frequent taks.

There are some timer, purge related parameters in that XML that I would like some info on, if you happen to know.

Are those periods in seconds, minutes , hours?

A dirty way would be to have two scripts run by corn an hour apart e.g once a week. One script would start these processes and the other would stop them after an hour

Hi,

So would anyone know about these parameters in the wdmc.xml file? Are these times, minutes, seconds ?

false

As they have already release a utility to rectify the LCC issue on the Red drives, when will we get a version for the My Cloud?

As they have already release a utility to rectify the LCC issue on the Red drives, when will we get a version for the My Cloud?