Live plus - playing mkv causes reboot

I have an issue that randomly occurs.  I’ll be watching an MKV and at some point into the movie, the playback will stall, and play a frame or so every 30 seconds, then the player will reboot.  During this, the player will not accept any commands from the remote.  I usually wind up power cycling it as the crash process takes too long to sit through.  The same files will play through the trouble point with no problem after the crash, but will sometimes crash a second time later in the movie.  All of my MKVs are encoded using makemkv.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue, and if so, will the upcoming firmware address it?

pRS317 wrote:

I have an issue that randomly occurs.  I’ll be watching an MKV and at some point into the movie, the playback will stall, and play a frame or so every 30 seconds, then the player will reboot.  During this, the player will not accept any commands from the remote.  I usually wind up power cycling it as the crash process takes too long to sit through.  The same files will play through the trouble point with no problem after the crash, but will sometimes crash a second time later in the movie.  All of my MKVs are encoded using makemkv.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue, and if so, will the upcoming firmware address it?

Sounds as like the unit might be overheating.

Random issues are hard to resolve – definitely NOT an overheating issue (unless your Live is sitting on top of a heat source).

I still suspect an encoding issue – I can think of a dozen ways a bad encode could burp at times but play through other times.  However, it will be *very* hard to pin this down unless you switch how you are constructing the files (IOW, trying some other way of creating them and then playing THOSE files – if they never crash then you know you’ve eliminated the problem.  If THEY crash then you’ve eliminated coding as the culprit).

About the only thing I can tell you for sure is that Handbrake encoded files, using the High Profile preset (no other changes but changed container type to MKV) always work perfectly.  That’s the gold standard – if they cause issues the problem is not with the file.

I can see the a bad encode causing a movie to stop playing, but I didn’t think it would cause the player to spontaneously reboot.  I was kind of on board with the overheating theory…though it’s definately not near a heat source and felt pretty warm, but not hot.  One odditly is that the bottom of the player has four recessed circles where rubber feet might go…but no feet, meaning the player sits flat on surfaces.  I’ll probably look around in the hardware graveyard for something suitable.

Either way, I’ll use handbrake for a while and see how things go…thanks :slight_smile:

One more question…would using handbrake to recode the potentially troubled files “fix” them?  So, basically, do an mkv to mkv with handbrake?  It seems like there are a lot more steps involved than makemkv, so using makemkv and handbrake together seems like it would be the easiest way to keep my blu-rays safe from the 3 year old hands of destruction.

pRS317 wrote:

I can see the a bad encode causing a movie to stop playing, but I didn’t think it would cause the player to spontaneously reboot.  I was kind of on board with the overheating theory…though it’s definately not near a heat source and felt pretty warm, but not hot.  One odditly is that the bottom of the player has four recessed circles where rubber feet might go…but no feet, meaning the player sits flat on surfaces.  I’ll probably look around in the hardware graveyard for something suitable.

Either way, I’ll use handbrake for a while and see how things go…thanks :slight_smile:

The’‘feet’ were in the box that the unit came in. Small bits of rubber on a backing sheet. As the airflow is more through the sides and the bottom has no vents I don’t think that it will make much difference if you had fixed the ‘feet’. You can test to see if it is over heating by directing a fan on the unit whilst playing a mkv that previously caused a re-boot.

Right you are!  As I’m quite **bleep** about saving every last scrap that comes with hardware, I did find the feet.  They’re pretty low, so they seem more to provide gripping as opposed to elevation.  And I agree with the primary heat disspation being through the sides.  Any idea what the larger rectangle of rubber is for?

pRS317 wrote:

Right you are!  As I’m quite **bleep** about saving every last scrap that comes with hardware, I did find the feet.  They’re pretty low, so they seem more to provide gripping as opposed to elevation.  And I agree with the primary heat disspation being through the sides.  Any idea what the larger rectangle of rubber is for?

The larger rubber is actually 3 strips and they are ‘feet’ for the side. You will find 3 indentations which you put these rubber strips in which allows you to stand your unit on its side. Now this may cover up the vents.