Live Plus loses Component setting when moving from HDMI TV to older RPTV Component connection

I have 2 TV’s, one of which is an older Toshiba CRT RPTV with component and composite video inputs. The other is a standard plasma w/ HDMI.

If I start out on the HDMI plasma, everything works fine. When I move the WD Live Plus to the Toshiba, I only get a picture when it’s connected to the composite input. If I go to Settings - Video and change the output to Component 1080i 60 MHz, it successfully connects via component and everything is hunky dory.

Then when I take it to the plasma HDMI, again I see a picture (without changing the Settings - Video to HDMI). But when I take it back to the Toshiba, it does not hold the component setting and I again have to use composite to change the setting to component. It will not hold the component output after being attached to the HDMI.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have you had any luck with this issue? What if you try adjusting the display to Auto?

Still isn’t working. I am on the RPTV component connection and there is no “Auto” setting. My choices are Composite, Component and HDMI. Under component, my choices run from 480i to 1080i.

It does seem that at one time I did see "Auto: somewhere. Is it only available when connected to HDMI?

Yes, AUTO is ONLY for HDMI.

Neither COMPONENT nor COMPOSITE have the ability to detect the downstream device’s capabilities (there’s no “return path.”)

It seems strange that I can’t move the Live Plus between HDMI and component tvs without losing the component setting each time. I guess most people: 1) don’t move their units between tvs and 2) don’t have tvs with component video.

I can understand that the player can’t sense component and composite, but why should it reset to composite-only ouput after attaching to HDMI (which it senses automatically)? Seems like it should default back to it’s last manual setting, which was component output. Just my 2 cents.

Hometheatremave wrote:

…Seems like it should default back to it’s last manual setting, which was component output. Just my 2 cents.

The WD box does not remember the video settings when you manually set them. I have been posting about this problem for over 8 months now.  I manually set the video output resolution/frequency and color space value, but when I turn the Live Plus off and on again, it does not remember the settings. Frequently, the box powers up at a resolution and frequency that my TV will not sync to. I have to connect the composite output of the WD box to my TV so that I can go into the WD’s setup and manually set the video resolution and color space values again.

I agree with you…the WD box should remember the video settings when they are manually set. Every other device that I have ever come in contact with operates that way. Perhaps if enough of us write to WD about this problem, they will finally fix this annoying bug.  

I manually set the video output resolution/frequency and color space value, but when I turn the Live Plus off and on again, it does not remember the settings.

Mine only loses it’s setting when I unplug it from AC. If I keep it connected to power, it remembers the component setting, even when I turn it off and on with the remote.

But this is definitely a bug. I will report it to WD. Thanks.

Hi, Im having a similar issue. First pluged in using composite cord and it worked perfectly. Unplugged composite and plugged in using hdmi, again worked perfectly. Unplugged hdmi and re plugged composite, no picture. Replugged hdmi (working perfectly again), went to video out setting, selected composite, then pal… confirmed that I wanted to change …and the next screen says still in hdmi auto mode. To sum it up, it is ‘stuck’ in the hdmi setting. If I cant change back to composite setting while using hdmi, how can I ever get back to using the composite lol (since it will not auto detect the composite cord now, like it did when I first plugged it in). I feel like its a catch 22 situation. Also I have unplugged the power cord with no effect.  The reason I was trying to go back to composite was to compare the picture quality, and it would be nice to know that if I plugged it into a composite only tv, it would detect the signal. Thanks for your time and any thoughts!

Wow. At least mine defaults to composite. After you select composite, have you immediately plugged into the composite output while unplugging the HDMI output?

Hometheatremave wrote:

Mine only loses it’s setting when I unplug it from AC. If I keep it connected to power, it remembers the component setting, even when I turn it off and on with the remote.

But this is definitely a bug. I will report it to WD. Thanks.

If yours remembers the component setting when you turn it off and on, that is what you should expect it to do. If you unplug the AC, it is reasonable to expect that the box will reset and revert to composite (or PAL) output. It would be nice if it would remember the settings when you unplug it, but I am not sure that what you are experiencing can really be considered a bug. Regardless, even if it is not a bug, you can still report this to WD in the hopes that they might implement  remembering the settings when unplugged as a new feature.