Live Hub or Live and NAS?

Hey people,

I’ve recently been looking at getting a Live Hub for my living room, however having done a bit of research I’m now stuck between getting a Live Hub or a Live and a NAS, since I can get both for about the same price.

To begin with I like the fact that the Hub can act as a NAS, but I’ve read that its slow and can only stream 1 file at a time, is that true? This isn’t that much of an inconvenience though. However I like the look of the UI on the Hub compared to that on the Live, is there that much difference between the two?

So basically is it actually worth paying for the Hub? Compared to the Live.

Just wanted to hear some feedback from some people who have first hand experience with them, and get an up to date reply instead of the old forum posts that I’ve been reading since there have been some firmware updates.

Thanks for any help in advance

What NAS are you thinking of getting for $100

Haven’t decided yet, I’ve been looking at the D-Link DNS-320 ShareCenter Pulse which is just an enclosure since i have a HDD that should do the job.

That does raise another question I was going to ask, if i were to go with the NAS option can i get any NAS or are there only certain compatable NAS’ that i would need to use?

taylor_112 wrote:

Hey people,

I’ve recently been looking at getting a Live Hub for my living room, however having done a bit of research I’m now stuck between getting a Live Hub or a Live and a NAS, since I can get both for about the same price.

To begin with I like the fact that the Hub can act as a NAS, but I’ve read that its slow and can only stream 1 file at a time, is that true? This isn’t that much of an inconvenience though. However I like the look of the UI on the Hub compared to that on the Live, is there that much difference between the two?

So basically is it actually worth paying for the Hub? Compared to the Live.

Just wanted to hear some feedback from some people who have first hand experience with them, and get an up to date reply instead of the old forum posts that I’ve been reading since there have been some firmware updates.

Thanks for any help in advance

Personally if you can get the DNS-320 for that price I would go with that. Although it is a low-end NAS it is more flexible than the Hub. You can put two normal hard disks into the enclosure and set them up as you like. So you could add 2 2Tb disks and set them up as a spanned volume to give you 4 Tb of storage, You can also set the disks up as a RAID 1 array which will shadow the disks, so if one disk fails you shouldn’t lose any data. I’ve been using an old DNS-323 with my Hub and the new SMP without any problems,

In contrast the Hub only has one disk and yes the network  transfer speed is pretty slow. You need to keep a backup copy of any important stuff on the Hubs disk as if it fails you will lose everything. And if the disk fails you can only replace the disk with the same 2.5 inch WD Scorpio hard disk. If you open the Hub to replace the disk you will void the warranty.

Another option is to buy the Live Streaming and a couple of external USB drives if you don’t need the extra features of the proper NAS, like RAID.

I have a low end Netgear NAS and the performance is very poor. Other than the fact that it has more storage space then the WD Live thats about it. Streaming movies from it may cause you issues on these low end NAS units.

You may want to consider purchasing a used NAS like the one below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infrant-NetGear-ReadyNAS-NV-w-4-640-GB-Western-Digital-Drives-RNV1-S2-0000-/110883130379?pt=US_Home_Network_Storage_NAS_&hash=item19d1264c0b

Hmm, thanks. It seems like if I want to stream my movies I’m going to probably need to invest in a decent NAS, which i might do at some point regradless of whether i get a Live or a Hub.

So comparing the two systems, is the Hub really worth all the extra money compared to the Live?

Baring in mind I’m in the UK so i understand most of the online services wont work, I’m looking more for somthing that will play my local content.

I have both a Hub and an SMP. 

I use the SMP for network streaming from a windows home server, and the Hub as a stand alone device for the Kids movies, and movies I haven’t watched yet.

I really like the hub, and the interface is basically identical to the SMP .  

it’s a great place to store back up copies, ( don’t know if you have your local content all backed up, but 1 TB holds lots of movies / music).  

So for the extra $99 ( U.S.)  the storage is nice.  if you look on Newegg  a 1 TB drive is at least $95 bucks ( external), so it’s a wash. 

hope this helps! 

kudos if so… =) 

D