List or log of excluded files

I have a problem knowing what files are excluded (in  fact I can make a comparaison using a third party tool), and why Smartware decided to exclude these file.

I’m pretty sure that when making its decision, Smartware should be logging in a file such an important information, at least for debugging purpose ?

From my experience, it is very difficult be confident that Smartware is doing its job well. I have a case where almost all JPG files were backed up, but some were not. I’m sure that there is a good reason, but how can I know that “good reason” ?

Thanks for helping,

GH

From your post I take it that you are doing a file backup and not a category backup, am I correct?

cat0w wrote:

From your post I take it that you are doing a file backup and not a category backup, am I correct?

Yes, you are perfectly right. Why that question ?

GH

Pretty simple, since there are two ways to back up, a person needs to know which one you used if we are going to try and help you!!! I see no reason to give an answer about both.

Open SmartWare and click on the Help tab. At the bottom click on the Online User Manual and open it up. Go to P. 45 #8 and read to P.47. I hope this will answer your question. You can also click on Help>Backup then Back up only certain Files or Folders–File Backup? and read that.

First, thank you.

No offense, but I hope that WD is not using a different method to exclude a folder/file dependng on the type of backup (files or categories), do they ?

After reading again the chapter pointed out, I didn’t find out the answer to my question: where is the log file where WD is storing the list of excluded files and the reason of exclusion.

Are you refering to the list of files still not backed up? This list doesn’t cover the excluded folders/files (the files in the grey area of the source drive in the home tab), do they ?

Thanks,

GH