Lip Sync issues with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 23.976fps in MKV

I have a WDTV Live connected to an Onkyo amp and 24Hz capable Panasonic TV over HDMI.

If I select Digital audio output from the WDTV and play an MKV file containing AVC and DD 5.1, sometimes the file will play fine, while on others the sound and video are out of sync pretty noticeably.

MediaInfo doesn’t seem to show any great differences between the files that seem to work (maybe they’re out too but not by so much) and the files that clearly a long way out (maybe 200 - 300ms as a guess).

I’ve seen posts from people complaining about this problem for a long time, but I’ve been unable to find any that have a solution. I’ve tried three different firmware versions, none of which made any difference. The only temporary fix is to use Stereo output, but that is not a solution.

Surely a problem as major as this must have been solved by now. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Hi there, most people in here tend to remux the audio file and change the timer to sync with video. It’s a random issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You mean, remux back to mkv? I’ll give it a go when I get a chance.

I have already tried remuxing into m2ts and mp4, but neither has shown any improvement.

If I can’t get this to work, I’m seriously considering putting the thing on eBay, and building a media PC. I mean, what use is a media player if it can’t reliably play the most popular video format (AVC / h264), with the most popular audio format (AC3) in the most popular container (MKV)!!

Sorry, maybe I’m being dense, but I can’t find what you’re referring to.

Do you mean remux the MKV with mkvmerge with a specific option?

Or, do you mean reencode the AC3 and then remux?

Or, do you mean remux using something other than mkvmerge?

Thanks for the earlier reply

Option number 2 my friend, reencode the AC3 and then remux.

1 Like

Oh dear! Ebay it is then!!

The whole reason for buying the WDTV was because I had to keep re-encoding videos for my old media player and was fed up of it.

In fact the WDTV is worse than my old player, at least with the old one I knew I had to re-encode everything. With the WD it’s random.

Thanks for the help anyway.

How is this a viable solution?  People, such as myself, would have to remux audio on hundreds of video files.  Hardly seems like a solution.

There is nothing wrong with the WDTV Live if you rip your movies from a virgin DVD or bluray disk.