Linux support for WD Black NVME 2018

This new model 500GB (WDS500G2X0C) doesn’t work, it keeps freezing any live image like Ubuntu 18.04 or Fedora 28 before install.

This support page says: https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=1804&lang=en

Similarly, new versions of Ubuntu and other flavors of Linux support PCIe NVMe SSDs using the newer storage drivers.

What’s wrong?

I’ve enabled UEFI boot, and running the latest firmware on my bios. I can run a Lubuntu 18.04 live image. The SSD is shown under /dev/nvme0 but the nvme tool is freezing the system and sudo blkid doesn’t show the nvme disk ID. Same for gparted.

I am confirming this issue on a brand new system for Fedora 28. For more details see this thread at the fedora forum and this bug report in Red Hat Bugzilla.

@Linuxian: Do I understand you correctly that Lubuntu 18.04 live image boots fine? Did you find a work around for Fedora?

Unfortunately, I did not find a way to ensure that I’m running the latest BIOS version, I have an open request at the manufacturer/vendor of my laptop for more information regarding BIOS updates.

edit: I tested myself with Lubuntu. Lubuntu boots (contrary to Fedora) into the live operating system, however, when I try to install Lubunt to the disk, the system freezes. The system hangs also under Lubuntu when I start gparted when it is scanning for the disks.

See also: Ask Ubuntu.

Nope, also installing Lubuntu is unsuccessful. IMHO any program that accesses the NVMe drive is freezing the system. BIOS and firmware were up to date, probably the new WD controller.

Trying to swap it for a Samsung EVO 970, at least that is working under Linux.

Thanks for the reply. Today I updated my BIOS/EC to the latest available versions, but the WD Black still does not work. Interestingly, I had exactly the same Samsung SSD in mind you are suggesting to replace the WD Black.

I replaced the WD Black SSD with a:
500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME PCI-e 3.0 x4, M.2
This SSD is recognized correctly and Fedora 28 is running fine on it now.