Linux, "pushing" content from PC to WDTV Live like in Windows 7's "play to" feature SOLVED!

Dumb question:  Why don’t you put all your music from Linux PC to your Win PC, either on the PC HD or attach a HD to it.  Then you can just use Play To, and be done with it?

mike27oct wrote:

Dumb question:  Why don’t you put all your music from Linux PC to your Win PC, either on the PC HD or attach a HD to it.  Then you can just use Play To, and be done with it?

Reason is two fold (at least :wink: )> Firstly because my Win7 PC is a PC and in a different room, not a laptop.> Secondly because I am a big Linux fan and have got the bit between my teeth with this. I just want to get it working !> I surpose I could also just connect a (long) audio cable from the laptop to the Hi-Fi :laughing:> It’s just the way I am = Bloody minded and can’t let go !> Aside = When I had XP on this laptop, I used a (fairly old tech) Lynksys Music Bridge which did this “pushing audio to the Hi-Fi” just fine.

I thought I had it just now.

Found “Leia” control point software for Linux = http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/  - I choose the i386 .deb package from here = http://leia.sommerfeldt.f-m.fm/experimental/ which seemed to auto install just fine.

However, on launching the program, whilst it finds my renderer, the WDTV live box, I get this =

I wonder if anyone has any idea about that error as I was optimistic it was going to work :angry:

404 is usually a network items address not found isn’t it, but it has “found” the WDTV box because it names it

John

This post edited to add info as it seems it is a solution to the OP.

Hey hey, I found one that works :smiley:

http://www.eezupnp.de/ I downloaded the Linux zip file, extracted it, then I looked where I had extracted it to and clicked on the file simply named “CP”. From then on it was pretty easy to get it working. :smiley: No actual “install” is required :dizzy_face:

I have only just done this and so far I cannot seem to browse my local folders directly, but I do have Plex Media Server installed and I can access my audio files via that. EDIT = I now find I can browse my local folder directly (outside of Plex Media Server - It was just me being thick.

I also installed Serviio server and “eezupnp” sees that and works with it fine :slight_smile: (Though the intructions on the Serviio site re starting the program and the console (for setting it up to use your specified folders etc) is a bit vague and took me a bit to figure out)

It (eezupnp) so far only plays audio onto my WDTV Live box and even then it blanks the srenn on my TV set, but that is fine for me. As said ^^^ if I need Video I am happy to “pull” that via the WDTV box’s hard remote cobtrol. I need to see now if “transcoding” is taking place as I use a lot of FLAC and APE (lossless) files (Hi-Fi you see :wink: ) EDIT = as per the post below, so far, lossless audio plays just fine.

So, whilst it may not be a full solution for everyone, in every respect, it does do what I set out to do in the OP, that is “push” audio from my laptop to my Hi-Fi via a wireless connection to my WDTV Live box :smiley:

If I can help anyone, I will, but please be awar that I am certainly not an expert in this or in Linux. I only stumbled across this solution by dogged determination and a bit of a scatter gun approach (but after learning from the advice and info given above = a BIG THANKS for helping me understand it guys :smiley:

John in the N.W. UK

regarding transcoding, that will be a dnal server functions

control point will make no difference

this is also one of the reasons I like serviio

no only can it do transcoding, but you can enable/disable it

and if you really want you can even write your own transcoding profiles

Thanks for that. Tests prove (as you knew of course) that this is good info :smiley:

I have edited my previous post above ^^^ with a bit more of what I found and marked it as a “solution” as it does what I set out to do pretty well. I was hoping to use “normal” file explorer menus, but the meny presented by the Control Point software is good enough once you figure it out.

Thanks to all for the help in getting my head around what was required to achieve what I (and many others) wanted.

I hope this thread gets found by other folk looking to do the same !