Linux filesystems *NOT* supported by My Cloud?

Sadly, and inexplicably, WD have chosen to split their firmware code base. adding another entire branch, based on BusyBox for the v2 ‘Gen 2’ MyClouds, rather than Debian used by the earlier v3 and v4 firmware in the ‘Gen 1’ models.

This gives everyone headaches:

• WD have to maintain another entire firmware branch, with supporting documentation and Support
  • Users are confused by what product they have, and how to make it work properly
  • Forum members find it hard to give advice, because there’s a whole new environment that they would have to learn.

I think they’re utterly bonkers, and if I was their product line manager, I would never have allowed it. I would have insisted on a common platform for the entire MyCloud range, with a common code base, and additional modules added to the higher spec models. This would have made everything simpler; code maintenance, support, documentation, user experience and forum support.

Granted, the different models have different CPUs, memory, etc. but this isn’t too hard to deal with; it comes down to the board personalisation support.