Line Breaks '|' in .sub Subtitles

Hi,

Just got a WD TV Live SMP and updated it straigt to the latest firmware (1.13.18). So far so good, except for one thing:

Line breaks in .sub subtitles marked with the ‘|’ character don’t work. The character is displayed as such instead of a line break. Choosing a different encoding doesn’t make any difference.

SRTs work fine of course. Most of the subtitles I use are SUBs and since I got this device to avoid any conversions, transcodes etc I feel a bit disappointed, especially as SUB is listed as a supported format.

I noticed that this issue was listed in the subtitle issue thread for the older WD TV models, but not for SMP. So I’m not sure if this was corrected for SMP earlier and found it’s way back later.

So, is this a known bug for SMP? Any hope it will ever get fixed?

PS. Also noticed that some subtitle styles such as colors which were embedded in an MKV file didn’t work. Not a problem for me though since I can live with the default style.

PPS. DVB subtitles in a .ts file (bitmaps I believe) don’t work either, but that was to be expected.

vonBr wrote:
Most of the subtitles I use are SUBs and since I got this device to avoid any conversions, transcodes etc I feel a bit disappointed, especially as SUB is listed as a supported format.

TONS of subtitle formats have an .sub extension so this being listed as a supported format isn’t exactly meaningful.

vonBr wrote:

So, is this a known bug for SMP? Any hope it will ever get fixed?

Yes and no.