Lights but no output

I’ve recently brought my WD TV Play on a trip and its stopped working - power light showing but when connected via HDMI doesn’t seem to be outputting at all as not being picked up on the TV, completely blank. HDMI cable and TV are working fine, I’ve already checked these and I’ve left it unplugged for 24h and tried the reset ! Any suggestions please, it;s only 2 months old!

It’s output may be set to “Composite” (Yellow,Red,White Cable that came in the box)

Connect this cable as well (so you have both Composite and HDMI connected)

Then go to the AV input on your TV eg. AV1   you should have picture

Then on the WDTV Play go to Setup > Audio/Video Output and select HDMI (Auto) … now go back to your TV and select your HDMI input eg. HDMI1

hdmi.jpg

1 Like

Thanksvery much, I didnt bring the composite cable with me but I will see if I can get hold of one and try as you suggest

You’ll have to use the Supplied Cable as it most likely has different pinouts compared to a “Standard” cable

But there is a way around that  (this link isnt for the WD Play but the cable swap should work the same … see the bottom of this post)

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Live-Plus/What-model-did-I-buy-wdbaap0000nbk-01-and-how-to-connect-the/m-p/666647#M33681

1 Like

Hi, managed to find the correct cable (something of a miracle in Bali!) and the WD Play is working - so thanks very much for the good advice…

BUT I want to run it via the HDMI cable and I don’t seem to be able to get it to switch - I’ve gone to setup, video output (currently Composite (PAL)), press OK which then gives me the optoon of HDMI or Composite, select HDMI, takes me to dispaly resolution, select Auto, takes me to colour space, select auto, takes me to match framrate, select off, takes me back to the beginning setup screen which still shows Video Output set to Composite!

Seems like I’m stuck in a loop…what am I doing wrong??

Things to try:

Trying “Forcing” the resolution ie. instead of “AUTO” try “1080p 60Hz”   (or lower resolutions if your TV doesent support that eg. 480p 60Hz and see if that *sticks*)

or

1. Remove the HMDI Cable

2. Only use COMPOSITE

3. Navigate to the Setup and select HDMI (as you were doing eg. AUTO or even try the “force method above”)

4. Hopefully once you press OK to confirm … you may lose Picture

5. IMPORTANT: Turn OFF your TV (Use TV remote control to put it into Standby)

Why ? (so when you have the HDMI connected … there is a “Handshake” between the TV & the WD Play when you switch the TV back on)

1. Remove the COMPOSITE cable and Connect the HDMI to the WD Play and your TV

2. Turn your TV back ON

3. On your TV remote select eg.HDMI1

4. Cross Fingers

1 Like

I think “composite” will show any time there’s a cable plugged into the A/V output.

After doing all that HDMI configuration, what happens if you disconnect the composite cable from the Play (not from the TV) and then connect the HDMI cable?

1 Like

yeah i thought that might be the problem Tony … added more info above as you were typing

Thanks to both for the prompt reply & suggestions, I will do as suggested and let you know the outcome

Tried both suggestions and sad to say no luck (despite crossed fingers)

still won’t stick on HDMI. Any other suggestions?

sorry late here  :cry:  … a different hdmi cable ? … a different hdmi input on the TV … a different TV ?

I thnk the the HDMI cable and TV are OK as all works perfectly when I connect my laptop to the TV via the same HDMI cable and the same input on the TV. Wondering if it is a fault with the way the unit outputs to HDMI as works fine on composite. Amazon UK say they would replace but they don’t currently have stock.

i’m very sorry the HDMI doesent seem to be working …

if Amazon are out of stock of the WDTV Play … i would enquire how much extra cost to replace it with a WDTV SMP

Which is a better device, with more features …

WDTV Play does not support Network Shares (Only supports DLNA) , DTS Decoding (only supports Pass-Through to a DTS a capable reciever) , No Themes, No MPEG2 Decoding (DVD/ VIDEO_TS/ ISO)

The WDTV SMP does …

just a thought  :neutral_face:

Thanks, for the suggestion - I googled WD Play HDMI problems and there was a lot of stuff about the depth of the HDMI cable shield so, I cut a little of the shielding off so that the HDMI cable can go in a little further and that solved the problem! Thanks for those who made suggestions - all much appreciated.

Worth adding the HDMI cable thing to the list of things to check if someone should have the same issue (apparently not uncommon).

Thanks again

ubudman wrote:

Thanks, for the suggestion - I googled WD Play HDMI problems and there was a lot of stuff about the depth of the HDMI cable shield so, I cut a little of the shielding off so that the HDMI cable can go in a little further and that solved the problem!

You’re kiddin me ! :dizzy_face:

Happy you resolved the problem … could you post the name of the Brand of HDMI cable you purchased ?

I will say … when i bought a MINI-HDMI adpator for my Tablet … it felt a little loose … but i could get a picture … but was intermittant and then it would disappear … so yeah i trimmed back the plastic … made better contact … solid video output.

I will keep your solution in mind with any further advice on HDMI output problems … thanks :smiley: