Light on front continually flashing and hub says it is compiling media library

Hi

I have all my data on a USB drive attached to the hub which works perfectly when the media library is turned off. I would of course like every one to have all the correct metadata for my movies and when I turn the media library on disaster strikes…

1. the hub sometime freezes and wont let me control it

2. the white light on the front continually flashes (for over 24hours now)

3. says it is compiling media library (again has been doing this for same time the light has been flashing)

I’m on the latest version of firmware

I have a Drobo attached via USB

Please could someone offer some guidance.

Thanks

Matt

This happens to me sometimes. I don’t let it run for 24 hrs though.

All you can do is delete the media library, switch it off, then on and select media library again.

You did say you had 3-4 Gbs of all sorts if I remember right. Should be OK, but it should all be done in 10 minutes really.

Some people reflash firmware and all sorts, numerous resets. Just the way it is sometimes mate.

You could try leaving the metadata off, letting it scan the media, then put the metadata to auto, just to give it a breather ?

I have 3-4 tb!

I have cleared the media library turned off the library and turned back on -  i have left get content info to manual only…

how long should i leave it?

Mmmm dunno exactly.

I have about 5-6 TB but thats internal/external and external and PC shares, 99 % Video files though.

It sounds like its struggling with something, maybe try disconnecting the drive and sticking it on a PC and see if it has any errors. I doubt it, but its worth a go.

When I went to this firmware, I was way back at 2.xxx just for themes, on that note there really is only 1 modified theme for thisand its early beta, reference your other question.

Anyway my point is, I had only folders with video files only, no old movie sheets, xmls, anything, just to give the Hub a fighting chance.

All I can say is keep plugging away, just to bring you down a bit, these boxes seem to do different things to different people, so sometimes its pure luck in what you do.

The drives should be fine there are no errors. The USB drive is a drobo which is a 4bay drive with raid array and constantly checks drives for bad sectors etc…

I have done what you suggested and it’s still scanning since previous advice with no joy. When I deleted the media library I just did it through the hub on the clear media library option would it have been a better idea to remove it via network and physically delete files? I have XML files and jpgs etc in all the movie folders from when I used xbmc…

Yeah that could mess it up. But I may be wrong.

Yeah not such a simple setup as mine, I have a more simple setup and I cleaned up the drives to save any problems. I just dragged all Xmls and Jpgs to a backup folder on each drive, so they are still there as such. But not had any major issues…

mattpeds wrote:
The drives should be fine there are no errors. The USB drive is a drobo which is a 4bay drive with raid array and constantly checks drives for bad sectors etc…

I have done what you suggested and it’s still scanning since previous advice with no joy. When I deleted the media library I just did it through the hub on the clear media library option would it have been a better idea to remove it via network and physically delete files? I have XML files and jpgs etc in all the movie folders from when I used xbmc…

Are the 4 drives set up as a single RAID volume on the Drobo? If the Library compiled okay with the other USB drive it’s possible there is a compatibility problem with the Drobo. Or the Library compile could be getting “stuck” if it has problems reading a file.

Try just adding a small folder and see if that compiles okay.

@badmem

yes the drobo is operating as a single raid volume - i have ‘extracted’ two of the drives from the old usb drives and fitted them into drobo…

the data that already is on the drobo and has the cover art etc is absolutely fine its just the new stuff…

I’m going to delete all xml files and .jpg files… yawn!!

i have noticed that in some of the folders there is a hidden file in there that is the movie name.backdrop is this created by hub??

would dvr-ms files cause a problem too??

forgot to add that!

Sorry to say this but we are talking seconds with del /s *.XML

:slight_smile: