LG TV 55LW550T & WD MY BOOK Live 1TB

Everything connects fine trough DNLA server, I can see the WD files on TV, but when playing video files they quit after about 1min. Is there any fix for that. Very annoying. When start DNLA  server on laptop and watch videos on TV everything is fine, but watching the same file through WD DNLA server, starts fine but quits after a minute. Any suggestons? 

does this happen with all files? 

what firmware do you have on the drive? 

You may reset your MBL, by holding its reset button for 4 seconds.  If your TV has the option to connect to the MBL as a network share, instead of DLNA server, you try this to compare results.  The MBL uses Twonky 5.19, you may check with LG if there is any compatibility issue with it.

it happens not with all files, but most of them, as I said earlier if I use laptop DLNA, all files play fine.

The wdl has firmware version: MyBookLive 02.10.12-129 : Core F/W 

LG TV has lates software too

Vadir wrote:

You may reset your MBL, by holding its reset button for 4 seconds.  If your TV has the option to connect to the MBL as a network share, instead of DLNA server, you try this to compare results.  The MBL uses Twonky 5.19, you may check with LG if there is any compatibility issue with it.

if I reset it, will I loose any data? I’m not sure about connecting tv to mbl other than DLNA way 

dmitri wrote:

Vadir wrote:

if I reset it, will I loose any data? I’m not sure about connecting tv to mbl other than DLNA way 

Nope, if you press the reset button it will just restore the configuration of the MBL back to default.

was away for some time. well have to continue on this…

I did reset and nothing changed, it starts video file and after about 40sec to 3min it quits to the folder where video files are. It actualy quits all video files, avi, mkv and the rest. It’s really annoying as that was the purpouse of WDL, I’m really disapointed, as I would keep it just as a “expensive” external HD, but it does not have usb, useless. But may be there is solution for that?

What about manually upgrading twonky? Or may be it’s possible to install different server? Anything else I should try?

I’m gonna try to return it if nothing will work. I have no use for this.

I  have got an LG PK590 Plasma TV and mine did a similar thing but what would happen is at anything between 5-15min into the movie the film would stop and go onto the next one in the folder. It did it with MKV, M4V, MP4, AVI, but not all the time at first I thought it was a bitrate issue, I tried re sampling the files in handbrake to varrying different formats, which worked for some, also tried re muxing the audio/video tracks which also helped with some but it was still an issue.

In the end the thing which seems to have sorted it is upgrading the Twonky Server on the WD MyBook. Theres no official WD upgrade for this so you’ll have to search the thread on how to do it but so far its fixed my problems. You will have to pay for a Twonky licience as you only get a 30day trial but at least you’ll be able to test it before paying, and the installed licience can not be transfered.

Hope this helps?

Thank you Ackers, I’m almost sure it is the twonky server fault, but I can’t be bothered with manual updates and especially paying for the server update, that is absolutely unacceptable, at the moment I described my problems to the seller and sent it back for repair/refund, I would prefer the refund as don’t want anything to do with WD. It was my first product from them and it was the worst electronic device I had in years. Will not buy one in future and will not recommend to anyone either.

Had I known this when I bought mine I may have done the same, the only thing was i bought it primarily to stream movies and being in my living room I wanted a disk that was quiet. Nearly all the others contained noisy fans which most left bad reviews about.

Also by the time I had whittled it down to the installed server software being the problem i’d had it 6mths and really couldn’t be bothered to take it back and try to explain to the 16yr old spotty kid in PC world the complicated issues of twonky server version compatability, only for him/WD to try to tell me its my TV or blueray thats the problem!