Latest Win10 update breaks the Connector client

Another Microsoft update, another broken Sentinel Connector.

Except this time, the usual fix of renaming the connector folders on Local/AppData/Roaming/MSCorp is not working.

I can ping the Sentinel and connect via Windows, but when I try wdsentinel/connect in a browser it times out. i have also tried the IP of the Sentinel/connect and it times out.

Good god I hate this connector software. It breaks down at least twice a year, I’ve already wasted 2 hours of my work day today troubleshooting it.

Such a pain ITA.

can you remote to the server and open IISadmin
look and see if the default site is started
click on the connect site and click browse 80 and see if a page comes up and says this is your server

Hi Gramps,

Thanks for the help - IIS was in fact the culprit (was off for some reason)

Turned back on, and now I can get the wdsentinel/connect page, but it is giving me an error when I try to reinstall the connector on my workstation (says cannot connect computer at this time).

In the past I used Microsoft’s “MicrosoftEasyFix50865” msi to get around this, but it’s not working this time.

I will try removing my PC from WD’s dashboard and I guess try again?

Uninstalling the Client from the Dashboard didn’t work.

Applying the EasyFix didn’t work either.

Both of these methods were “tried and true” to get the connector back.

Apparently not today. This thing is such a headache.

the other thing I noticed, is all of my clients in the dashboard are labeled as “offline” - even the ones with the connector marked green and otherwise functioning.

matter of fact, 2 of the clients has successful backups this morning so…?

It has been so long but the offline thing has been an issue I am not sure was ever fixed. The easy fix you are running is not for this error (I don’t think)
for now look at

and

look here real quick since you had IIS issues

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec737eb7-10f2-48ef-aad5-3de6f6dea28b/solved-whs-2011-connector-install-cannot-connect-this-computer-to-the-network-not-dns-issue?forum=whshardware

It is not binding the Cert to HTTPS…

When you browse the https site on the sentinel it says this (text pasted from page):

Certificate Error: Navigation Blocked

There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website’s address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Recommended icon[Click here to close this webpage.](javascript:closePage())

Not recommended icon[Continue to this website (not recommended).](https://localhost: - hidden -/)

More information [More information](javascript:expandCollapse(‘infoBlockID’, true)

did you look at that last link/msg?

Yes, absolutely.

The fix didn’t work.

We had been on track to purchase a replacement for the Sentinel, but with Covid we put a stop on purchases of this nature, so now I’m stuck with this thing.

Ready to throw the thing out the window, it always has an issue like this at the worst possible time, never fails.

So perhaps if you are doing http://192.168.1.10/connect it is not matching the servername
whatever

also click on view certificate, it may be expired

Hi Gramps.

I’ve looked at all of those parameters.

The cert is good until 2/18/2049.

I right click on WSS Cert Web Services, align the IP of the Sentinel to that Cert, restart IIS, open the webpage, and it gives the:

There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website’s address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

it is the bindings for default web site, not cert services

gotcha.

the link you posted (*SOLVED* WHS 2011 Connector Install - Cannot connect this computer to the network - not DNS issue)

has these steps:

1. I logged into the WHS server as and admin.

2. I opened up IIS Manager.

3. I found WSS Certificate Web Service under Sites.

4. I right clicked it to get a menu and selected edit bindings.

5. A Site Bindings window opens and I select the listed binding and clicked Edit.

6. Edit Site Bindings window opens and you most likely will see that the connection is not bound to an SSL certificate and this is why we are getting the error in the first place. Select a proper certificate and Click OK then close out of all the windows except IIS manager.

7. Right click on WSS Certificate Web Service under Sites again to get a menu and choose Manage Web Site → Restart.

You should now be able to use the connector service.

Changed the bindings on the default website section, same result.

Cert Error.

well maybe I am wrong, what does the default say? I did not read all that :slight_smile: I saw bindings and it made sense to me

here is what my cert services is. No clue why your dates are so good.

Yes, that’s what mine looks like.

I’ll see if I can post a pic and DM it to you.

was the default site correct?