Latest Smartware not working with latest drive

I have 5 Studio drives in a single FW800 chain connected to my Mac Mini. I’m running the latest Smartware (1.3.3.8) on Snow Leopard. Of the 5 drives, only 4 show up in inside Smartware, though all 5 seem to work. The one that doesn’t show up is a 1TB Studio drive that’s a couple of years old, I think. I’ve been assuming that it was too old for Smartware to configure it. However, I’ve just bought a new 3TB Studio drive and Smartware is having trouble with that too. The drive shows up in Smartware but, unlike the other drives, it can’t be selected so that I can change the drive’s settings. Is this a known problem? If so, is it possible to work around it?

please verify with that the model drive is supported by Smartware…

don’t know why you will wanna backup 5 drives with Smartware

I use Time Machine and have no issues :wink:

“please verify with that the model drive is supported by Smartware…” Smartware came with my latest drive. It’s the same version that I already have installed, which the software says is the latest. The drive also has a manual on it, describing the use of Smartware to configure the drive’s settings. Is this sufficient evidence that the 3TB Studio drive is intended to be supported, or are further checks needed? “don’t know why you will wanna backup 5 drives with Smartware”. I don’t and didn’t say I did. I want to set the new drive’s sleep timer. Can I do that without Smartware? I use Time Machine for what it’s good for, and other software for where that’s lacking. But that’s a different subject. Forget backups. Thanks for responding.

I don’t know why all my spacing was removed. I’ll try again…

“please verify with that the model drive is supported by Smartware…”

Smartware came with my latest drive. It’s the same version that I already have installed, which the software says is the latest. The drive also has a manual on it, describing the use of Smartware to configure the drive’s settings. Is this sufficient evidence that the 3TB Studio drive is intended to be supported, or are further checks needed?

“don’t know why you will wanna backup 5 drives with Smartware”.

I don’t and didn’t say I did. I want to set the new drive’s sleep timer. Can I do that without Smartware?

I use Time Machine for what it’s good for, and other software for where that’s lacking. But that’s a different subject. Forget backups.

Thanks for responding.

ok then…

did you tried using the drive on USB?

this is just to check the settings and then you can go back to firewire

you can also unplug a couple other drives and try the last one only

there could be a conflict with Smartware and the number of drives you are using…

go to the home tab and click the drive and check the settings if possible

I have tried the drive as sole external drive, bth via USB and Firewire. In this situation, there is no other drive that can be selected, so Smartware allows me to select the Settings tab and get to the next screen with the correct drive showing. However, the Set Up Drive button is disabled.

I note that Smartware for PCs has had a much more recent update.

I have sent a message to WD seeking support.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling and then reinstalling Smartware, at the suggestion of WD support.