Latest firmware, slow sluggish interface menu browsing, low memory, after exiting YouTube, Netflix

My gut tells me that all of these posts are the same problem…

Firmware-2-02-32-quot-The-system-memory-is-running-low-would-you/m-p/786775

Firmware-2-02-32-is-SLOW/m-p/782557

slow-menus-and-having-to-pull-the-plug-to-fix/m-p/684133

Firmware-2-02-32-made-the-interface-very-slow/m-p/786391

Network-drive-browsing-progressively-slows-down/m-p/786441

Slow-Browsing-Interface/m-p/646931

…and that problem is some sort of memory leak. I’m guessing. I’ve gotten the “The system memory is running low, would you like to boot the device” only once personally (after YouTube I believe), but everyday, without fail, after the wife has been watching Netflix during the day (on mat-leave), I have to power cycle the box because the interface becomes unusable after exiting the app. Possibly after extended uptime streaming from my LAN too, I can’t be certain, but I do hit the exit-Netflix/YouTube-interface-slow-down on a daily basis. Not cool.

I want to say the previous firmware suffered from the same problem as well, but to a much lesser extent.

And in one of this threads a “solution” was tagged. Yeah… No. Power cycling is NOT an accecptable solution.

Come on WD. Get it together. This needs to be addressed and please get to it ASAP. Tangentially, I’ve been recomending WDTV’s to my friends and this is seriously making me look bad.

P.S. Did I post this in the right place? Will WD developers see this? How do we officially report bugs?

jb

2 Likes

Sir,

I have two items from Western Digital WDBGXT0000NBK TV Live Media Player i updated its firmware yesterday, it worked excellent for two days and now its freezing. i  used to play a video over the network.

any suggestions? advice?

regards,

wassim,

If you think it’s this memory leak problem, then the only things you can do are power cycle the box, put it in some deep sleep mode with a long power button press on the remote (I read that somewhere, I haven’t tried it), or wait for WD to fix it. I suppose you could downgrade your firmware, but I don’t know how to do that. Search this forum. I’m sure somebody has done it. In the meantime, keep posting. We need traction to get this problem fixed.

-jb

Here’s my Firmware Rollback guide if anyone needs it

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-content/td-p/781923

So, this was getting nuts. I thought maybe going wired, but through a wireless bridge might not be helping. I decided to try wired direct to my router. This did not help. In anything, I think things got worse. I’m now definitely experiencing bad lagging and menu clicking all the time, not just after Netflix, fresh from sleep, just stream a single show from my server and the box becomes frustrating to use. I even encountered a new problem. It likes to drop out to the menu while streaming a video from my server. The audio is still coming through, but no video. Can’t stop it either. Somehow attempting to play the file again restarts the video. WOW. Fed up. Downgrading to 2.01.86. WD get your act together.

jbrockerville wrote:

So, this was getting nuts. I thought maybe going wired, but through a wireless bridge might not be helping. I decided to try wired direct to my router. This did not help. In anything, I think things got worse. I’m now definitely experiencing bad lagging and menu clicking all the time, not just after Netflix, fresh from sleep, just stream a single show from my server and the box becomes frustrating to use. I even encountered a new problem. It likes to drop out to the menu while streaming a video from my server. The audio is still coming through, but no video. Can’t stop it either. Somehow attempting to play the file again restarts the video. WOW. Fed up. Downgrading to 2.01.86. WD get your act together.

it would be helpful if they respected their customers enough to tell us a new firmware is being worked on to fix this. But they’re dead silent on the issue.

I agree with the OP. This last firmware update made the unit almost unusable. I have to reset it everyday and it crashes or runs out of memory pretty quickly thereafter. What’s up WD? Please fix this issue!

Same here, very slow, navigation. Come on WD please fix!

kmedeiros wrote:

This last firmware update made the unit almost unusable.

So why not roll back for the time being?

In my experience, rolling back to previous firmware, didn’t work. I tried 2.01.86 and 1.16.13, and I kept having troubles with playing files from my shared folders, from time to time.