Latest firmware bricking drive?

I’ve been reading this forum and came across a similar issue that someone else had

I upgraded to the latest firmware…rebooted. the drive got stuck at the white light…

tried a whole buch of stuff… eventually was able to access the dashboard but it stayed at initializing…

Alarm showed, unable to mount data volumes…I LOST ACCESS TO ALL OF MY 1.8TB OF DATA.

luckily i still have my second old MBL drive that still had my stuff… I tried a whole bunch of stuff on the wd cloud drive…

Luckily i had just gotten the drive a week ago… took it back to the store and returned it…

No issues here, updated 3 of my wdmyclouds to latest firmware.  If you contacted wd and gave them the log files, they coudlve analyzed what the issue was.

Yeah, I’m wondering if all the “hacking” and modifications you made to the Cloud might have contributed to this.

I updated mine with no issues.

Same error, can you please tell me how did you manage to get through the WHITE LED problem?

Nope, there no modifications on it… I had two Wd cloud drives… The one that was totally stock was upgraded

But how did you get back to the main ui?

Since WD support does not help the customer after he bought this brick, I am thinking about helping myself out of trouble.

Does this review can help debrickthe Cloud (with proper cloud FW from website)? I am really desperate, but wont do stupid things only when it is necessary.

Or the White Led problem really killed the hard drive?

If you’re getting a white LED still even after rebooting, then I suggest either RMA’ing the unit or exchanging it for another one. Could just be a bad drive.

RMA means 30 euro to send it back (our postal service is pretty much working on insane prices above 1kg), so thanks, but no thanks, it was working and died when I restarted, worked for 5 hours!

And WD still haven’t answered in the past 2 days for any of my tickets. (they could not help me on phone)

can you ping its ip while its stuck on the white light?

yup exactly my thoughts when i ran into the problem. I had gone through WD’s RMA process last year for another HDD so i know what was up… So this time… Asi had just bought the drive about  2weeks ago… I decided to returj to the store instead… and i did pick up another one…

I updated that one reluctantly and this one had no problem for some reason…

Note… The day i had my bricking problem, that day it seemed the WD support site was down for a while.The drive couldnt contact the site to download the FW. I had tried to manually download it from the site but i could not access it either.

Evetually it did download and ran the update.

Is it possible the download was corrupted somehow, causing the upgrade to fail?

good luck getting as response for the support ticket. I had opened a ticket for a question and issue regarding rsync. I know its not officially supported by WD .

Took them several days to respond to the ticket and their suggested resolution was " dont use rsync,  just use regular copy and paste in windows"

BullZeye wrote:

RMA means 30 euro to send it back (our postal service is pretty much working on insane prices above 1kg), so thanks, but no thanks, it was working and died when I restarted, worked for 5 hours!

And WD still haven’t answered in the past 2 days for any of my tickets. (they could not help me on phone)

You must have paid a lot more than 30 euro for the mycloud and if you can’t get it working you have lost all that money. It may cost you a bit more money but at least its better than looking at a costly brick. Where did you actually buy it from, can’t you take it back there.

Try the 40 sec reset button holding thing!  It probably wont help but worth a shot

unplug power, hold reset button in the back of the drive, plug power and keep holding the button for atleast 40 sec.

did you have ssh access enabled on the drive?

Nope, router does not give out any IP address for it. Just a white led, the HDD is working I can hear the spinning, but thats all.

then its not looking too good for you unfortunately… Could always go about opening the drive up and plugging it in a desktop computer running linux if you need to recover data from it. voids warranty ofcourse

Sure thing, but guess what, If WD wont pay for the return (aka send a new one and I give this brick to the UPS guy) for the 5 hours working WD My Cloud, I will find a way to get my money back, and use all my spare time to tell ppl on forums how WD reacts to customers complain.

WD My Cloud is a newbie on the market, and it is pretty much easy to give advices to others on popular forums, to buy something else, like Zyxel, Synology, because My Cloud is unstable, and WD customer support wont even answer your tickets, and won’t help you on phone (yeah called them on phone, he gave me a link to store, thank you tech guy!).

I BOUGHT FROM THE EU WD STORE , it was the mistake, because I can’t send it back to a local shop, and get a working one.

This is just ridiculous. I was in the first few ppl who bought it in Hungary, because we can’t even buy it from a local shop yet, what do you think what will that 150-200 ppl will think when I tell them my story who are thinking about Zyxel or Synology or My Cloud. WD will loose 100x more than just a few euros what they would pay for the shipping.