"last content source has been removed" success story

I just went through some problems and I ended up with a solution.  I thought I’d post my steps to hopefully help someone else.

After a few weeks of not being used, a recent firmware update, a round of Windows updates, and some power outages from a storm, WDTV displays “Last content source has been removed” when go to browse videos.  When try to add source, go to Windows Shares and little rotating arrow goes for several minutes, then the system freezes and I have to pull the power to reboot it.  Tried rolling back firmware, didn’t work. 

I now have shares working again with firmware 1.11.14 (the latest firmware as of September 16, 2012). 

The last things I did before it started to work again were:

1)      Reset settings to default (this is under the Setup > System scroll down there are additional settings > Device Reset)

2)      I turned off the WDTV’s windows share server:  Setup > Network Settings > Network Share Management > Windows Share Server > Off

3)      On the PC, I went to the manual http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf and followed the directions starting on page 35 verbatim.  I selected “Work network” and turned on “Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended)”, as well as ensured that the other settings matched those in the manual.

4)      I had to log off and back on to enable the settings changes.

5)      I already had my other shares still set up, but I wanted to test if a new share would show up.  I selected a random folder and made it a share by going properties > sharing > advanced sharing > share this folder.  I gave “Everyone” read permission.

Then I tried to add a Windows Share source on the WDTV and it asked for a password and now it works.  My original shared folders showed up.  My new shared folder did not show up at first, but it showed up eventually, after I gave it some time. 

Before I had started any of these steps, I had noticed on my PC that when I ran “net view” at the command prompt, only my WDTVLIVE would show up in the resulting list (I got the net view idea from http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642 ).  After this process, “net view” showed both my computer name and the WDTV Live in the list.  I checked and somehow my WDTV Live Windows share server got turned back on.  Turning it off again seems to not break anything. 

Thank you very much for this usefull information… is good to read post like this one.