Large file (numbers or size) copy failure with WD My Book World Edition White light 1TB

I am using the WD My Book World Edition 1TB as a transfer drive for data between geographically distant computers.

In both copying data to the My Book from a 64bit Vista OS and trying to copy data from My Book to a 64bit Windows 7 OS I keep getting problems where the copy stalls. In Windows 7 I get an error message of 0x80070016.

For instance, when trying to transfer a 2GB file from the My Book to Win 7, it will initially transfer at nearly 10MB/s, then pause and an error:

'An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. I fyou continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80070016: The device does not recognize the command.’

When I press ‘try again’ the error message ‘Invalid file handle’ is shown.

When I press the ‘try again’ then the speed drops to 3MB/s and again fails to complete to copy after about 0.4Gb has been transferred.

It has been able to transfer files of this size in the past but with difficulties.

Smaller files are able to be transferred, but I haven’t determined the size limit.

Also when transferring large numbers of small files it stalls during the copy.

Any ideas?

Have you tried contacting WD’s Technical Support? I would consider giving them a call about this.  It may require further investigation since the drive has been out for a while before Windows 7. 

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

I have registered a fault ticket by email with Tech Support on Sunday 20th December. Seeing as it’s now Thursday 24th December, that seems to me to be longer than the promised 24 hours business response Service Level Agreement.

I have received an automated email saying it is registered. 

It may be due to the festive season but sadly  I’m still unable to transfer my data. 

I’ll try and give them a call, but seeing as it’s now Christmas Eve I won’t be surprised if I will have to wait until 26th Dec.

Merry Xmas :slight_smile:

Similar problem here!

I have a WD MBWE (white light) 1TB with the latest firware update. It seems that when I transfer large files from my windows 7 32-bit pc to mybook, the latter, after a while and before the transfer is complete, drops its network connection and freezes, leaving no option but to unplug and replug the device to bring it back to life (I wonder how safe this unpluging and repluging is without a proper shutdown).

However, I recently transferred 25GB of video files from my laptop (win Vista 32-bit) to mybook with no stalling.

Could it be a OS problem?

Any help wwould be much appreciated

@ Illrain: Any replies from WD support?

@John_T: Yes, got a response from WD support. It’s a RMA return to them and get a new one. 

I’m hoping it’s merely a technical problem rather than a system one.

I am having the same problem on Windows 7, 64-bit.

To test if it was the OS, I ran some large files to my old pc with XP and then transferred them to the  WD My Book World Edition without a problem. I think this may be something to do with Windows 7.

Has anyone received a replacement HD yet from WD to see if the problem still persists?

I did receive a new unit from WD tech support and everything seems to be working ok at the moment on the Windows Vista 64 bit. 

I have yet to test it on the other computer with Windows 7 64 bit.

Hello to all I have teh 2TB version of this drive.  I am also experiancing the same problem.  Here is what I came up with.

First of all i have 2 PC’s one with win 7 64 bit ultimaite and the other with win 7 32 bit ultimate.  I experianced problem with both of them so its not a 64bit vs 32bit related issue. 

Well as we  all know trasnfering data in widnows XP is significantly faster than vista and 7. 

What i noticed was that in vista and 7 since it takes longer to transfer the same amount of data i notice the Drive itself was heating up, and as it heated up the trasnfer speeds decreased until the point were it locked up and required me to power cycle the drive so the itnernal NIC can be re-regerister on my LAN.  then all was fine. 

The first thing i did was tweaked my internal LAN here is what I did to Both PC’s:

open elevated command prompt and type this:     netsh int tcp show global

you will see “auto tuning” is enabled.  we need to diable it bytyping the following: 

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Once you do that then retype the first command to verify thatit hasbeen diabled.

Next thing you want to do is disable Remote Differential Compression  by clicking Start-Control panel-programs and features-  on the left side click on “Turn widnows features on and off”  and clear the check mark next to "Remote Differential Compression"  once compelted restart.

DO this to all PC’s running windows 7.

Then download freeware app called  SG TCP Optimizer  (just google it)  and apply the “optimal settings”  then restart.  DO this to all PC’s Running windows 7.

Lastly i also bought a cheap laptop fan cooler USB driven  i plugged it into the usb port on the back of the drive and put the fans ontop of the drive to help ventaliate the hot air out of the drive to keep it cool.

After doing these lil tricks i have not experianced a single problem.  I managed to transfer 350gb of data in one shot with out loosing speed or connection.  maintained a steady transfer rate of about 14 mbps

The proble i feel is the NIC when is under load creates to much heat and thus does not operate properly losing its Communication with the LAN.  Hope this helps

Or maybe the problem is somewhere else

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Report-new-BUG-problem-with-writing-on-NAS-WD-MBWEII/td-p/48411

1 Like

I had no problems downloading large files from the new WD unit to Windows 7 64 bit.

Also uploaded some files and that worked ok.

Seems the problem has gone away for me.

Thanks for the tips and tricks from the other posters.

Rev99k wrote:

Hello to all I have teh 2TB version of this drive.  I am also experiancing the same problem.  Here is what I came up with.

First of all i have 2 PC’s one with win 7 64 bit ultimaite and the other with win 7 32 bit ultimate.  I experianced problem with both of them so its not a 64bit vs 32bit related issue. 

Well as we  all know trasnfering data in widnows XP is significantly faster than vista and 7. 

What i noticed was that in vista and 7 since it takes longer to transfer the same amount of data i notice the Drive itself was heating up, and as it heated up the trasnfer speeds decreased until the point were it locked up and required me to power cycle the drive so the itnernal NIC can be re-regerister on my LAN.  then all was fine. 

The first thing i did was tweaked my internal LAN here is what I did to Both PC’s:

open elevated command prompt and type this:     netsh int tcp show global

you will see “auto tuning” is enabled.  we need to diable it bytyping the following: 

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Once you do that then retype the first command to verify thatit hasbeen diabled.

Next thing you want to do is disable Remote Differential Compression  by clicking Start-Control panel-programs and features-  on the left side click on “Turn widnows features on and off”  and clear the check mark next to "Remote Differential Compression"  once compelted restart.

DO this to all PC’s running windows 7.

Then download freeware app called  SG TCP Optimizer  (just google it)  and apply the “optimal settings”  then restart.  DO this to all PC’s Running windows 7.

Lastly i also bought a cheap laptop fan cooler USB driven  i plugged it into the usb port on the back of the drive and put the fans ontop of the drive to help ventaliate the hot air out of the drive to keep it cool.

After doing these lil tricks i have not experianced a single problem.  I managed to transfer 350gb of data in one shot with out loosing speed or connection.  maintained a steady transfer rate of about 14 mbps

The proble i feel is the NIC when is under load creates to much heat and thus does not operate properly losing its Communication with the LAN.  Hope this helps

Ah, overheating would explain why WD Support is mum on a possible fix.  I wonder if newer drives are shipping with a different IC to compensate for this
 Unfortunately I’m not willing to sacrifice my networking performance just so I can reliably upload data to a single network device, completely unacceptable.

Hi y’all,

I also use Windows 7 32bit, I noticed the large files are transferred much better under safe mode.
During the transfer, the speed decreases to ~2.5MBps but the files are sent. The transfers are not perfect and there few occasions when the transfer was interrupted but still, much better.

Please try it and see if you come to the same conclusion.

Update:

Tries the new firmware, hoped that it will solve the problem. The NAS would let me complete the update so all written here is concerning fw.ver: 01.01.16.

Moving back to XP helped but didn’t solve the problem. Critical errors and transfer cancellations are almost gone, for now I had only one cancellation of file transfer. And yet, it doesn’t feel like OS related problem. I still think that the problem is in the MBWE.

Today I connected a new laptop to NAS via 1Gbps switch and saw that when copying large files like 4GB+ HD movies, the transfer starts at good speed ~20MBps, after 1 minute or so it dropped to 1.7~1.5 MBps, after a while came back to normal speed and then dropped again until the transfer ended successfully.