Large directory copy issues

I have been trying to copy a very large directory to my PR4100. It is ~200GB and contains thousands of folders and files (iTunes Music Library). I have had ZERO luck in getting it copied over and have tried a bunch of different methods. Any help would be appreciated before I throw this ■■■■ thing out the window. Details below of the setup and what I have tried.

• Folder is stores=d on external USB raid connected to my Mac formatted as mac os extended journaled

• I connect to my NAS via AFP, a straight drag and drop copy fails (I forget the error since this was the first thing I tried)

• Connected drive directly to PR4100 USB and tried file copy from the UI, and also a backup job…both fail

• Created a TAR of the files on the USB and then copied the TAR to the NAS, and then untar’ed via SSH - fails on a specific folder/file and says it is too long…I am currently creating a new TAR without that one folder to see if that works

• Other weird issues - I get alot of -40 errors when trying to delete the folders after the untar. I also tried to move the folders that were succesfully untar’ed to where I want them and got more errors

I am thinking the issue here has to do with special characters and file name length. Seems like the folders that give me issues have something like é. Any thoughts on how I can get around this and get this stuff copied? Thanks!

Hi RoyMan,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support.
https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.

It seems that the folder in question may have been the issue. Either the file/folder names were too long or they had non supported characters in them. The tar/untar finally worked! I am willing to bet a normal drag and drop copy would have worked fine as well if I didnt have that one weird folder in there.

You may try this

export lang=en_US.UTF8
tar xf problematic_archive.tar.gz

You could try tar from the entware package (search here for entware).

opkg install tar

now that everything is copied over successfully I have pointed iTunes to the NAS…and it is saying there are missing songs. Very odd issue - for example it says it cannot find the folder ‘of Montreal’ but on the drive it is ‘Of Montreal’ On the old drive it is ‘Of Montreal’ too so I dont understand why this isnt working.

Maybe its best to start a new topic for this issue since its a bit different?