Keyboard will not work

Just tried connecting a USB keyboard for the first time, but there is no response. Keyboard lights do not light, and there is no key input. I am on latest firmware. Keyboard is from my second computer so I know it is fine. Any ideas anyone?

I don’t know if the LEDs will light.  There’s no reason for them to light (unless one of the LEDs is just a Power indication…)

Is it just a plain vanilla USB keyboard? 

Does anything work at all. When I added a wireless keyboard last week I came across several problems. First I got nothing, and and after some testing realized that I had to have the USB dongle attached to the front USB port on the HUB as it did not work when in the rear one. Then only some of the keys worked, like “S” would stop a video, but I could not get any key combinations to work (Ctrl F, Ctrl O etc). After a bit of frustration I pulled out the batteries and then put them back in and everything worked. Guess it just needed a reset while the HUB was on.

First test for me was adding the keyboard to my laptop to test that everything worked fine on another machine. Sorry if this is a dumb question but have you attached your keyboard to a computer to make sure it is working correctly in general?

Good Luck

-P

Hi,

I am using a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. (MX5500)  Works great, but I must do a cold boot for the WD to find it.

I do have another wireless keyboard that just does NOT work with the WD. (Micro Innovations Model# KB1045LSR)

Hope this helps, good luck…:smiley:

Hooking up a keyboard to the WD, may I ask why, what does it get you?

Have you used YouTube yet? Makes searching for videos much easier. Any nav that requires typing. Personally, I prefer to use my iPad, connected to the wd

It’s certainly nice to search your movies for an actor or a director easily with a keyboard. Doing it by the remote was too much of a pain so I never did it.

-P

crash613 wrote:
Have you used YouTube yet? Makes searching for videos much easier. Any nav that requires typing. Personally, I prefer to use my iPad, connected to the wd

Now that you mention it, I did check out Facebook etc but figured it was way too much work without a keyboard. Never thought of hooking one up to the WD though, (… amd my laptop is in the same room as the WD).

Thanks for the ideas everyone. It is a standard Microsoft keyboard and it works fine on my wife’s computer. It is cable, not wireless. The lights I spoke of that don’t work are the normal caps and numlock lights. There are many reasons to use a keyboard from network setup to Youtube searches.

I will try cold booting with it connected.