Kernel 4.9.330 for My Cloud Home Duo

Hello, I´m gonna post here my findings, and advances of the new kernel for my cloud home duo, right now this is the kernel that I compiled, it has zram, everything for docker running, NFS, and some other things. The kernel is gzipped, because it is bigger than 15 MB and fwtutil refuse to put a bigger kernel, it works without problems, the UBOOT decompresses the kernel automatically, it has watchdog deactivated.

Kernel 4.9.266

1 Like

Hi zeusjan, much appreciated for your sharing.

I just updated my Kernel with Fwtutil tools to emmc but the My Cloud Home Duo sticked after reboot. The fans keeps runing and no further actions. I tried to ping MCHD IP but no responds.

Here is what I do to update Kernel, “fwtutil -r 5:/mnt/emmc.uImage -r 12:/mnt/emmc.uImage -r 6:/mnt/rescue.emmc.dtb -r 7:/mnt/rescue.emmc.dtb”

please help to see if anything I missing?

when you boot with the usb rescue files, you are booting with my kernel? (you can check it with dmesg to see that the kernel is 4.9). if you are booting with my kernel, check that /mnt is properly mounted (don’t know why, but the new kernel decided that the usb drive is /dev/sda1 instead of sdc1). When you change the kernel, take off the drive before booting again the nas, (because is gonna detect the drive as the first partition, and halt the boot process)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I booting with another kernel which from Forth32 for updating kernel. I will try to boot with your kernel agian and see if it wroks.

As a tip, always try to boot from usb with the new kernel to be sure it works before changing it, anyway I’m gonna look after work that everything is ok, I had an installation from blank modified by me, and I don’t know if it differs a lot from forth32

finally it works!!!

I have successfully updated to Linux kernel 4.9.266, and seems the docker can work? (without testing) at least it can be installed without error. the only problem is the fans keep runing in high speed which cause a lot noise.

any way, thanks a lot for your help.

:wink: with the new kernel and dtb the fan is at higher speed by default, but is easy to change it with a command. I don’t know it from memory, but I look it when I get home.

that will be great!

You can control the fan with the following command “echo 4 > /sys/devices/platform/9801bc00.rtk_fan/fan_ctrl_speed” “4” is the fan speed you have from 1 to 10

Thanks for help :grinning: I also found related info here “Lötzimmer: Debian on WD My Cloud Home single-bay (MCH) - part 3 (controlling the LED)” and try to find the fan control item as well.

in addition, I also find the LED control item under 980070d0.pwm, there are 4 pwm devices and only #2 is disabled which is different with MCH. Seems#0 can be used for adjusting LED lights from 0 to 100, the lights changed accordingly. “/sys/devices/platform/980070d0.pwm/dutyRate0”

at last, I also find the dutyRate3 can control the fan speed step by step from 0 to 100, not sure what’s the different with the item under “fan_ctrl_speed”.

1 Like

Do you know if any sensors include in MCHD?any idea to control fan speed according to temperature? so far, it only can run at the speed by manually input.

Yes, there are more sensors. You have the disks temperature sensors with SMART, and there is a cpu sensor (it doesn’t appear on Debian, but it appears by default with htop on Armbian). WD control the fan speed with scripts on the original firmware, when I had some time I look into it.

I did some study and there are some findings. “/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp” seems to be the CPU temperature and we can use the hddtemp tools to get HDD temp as well.

Based on above, I made a sh script for adjust fan speed according to CPU/HDD temp, and control the LED lights based on time. Everything goes well so far! :grinning:

1 Like

hi everyone.
could i ask for some help on how to install the kernel.
i just cant get it to work

running a my cloud home duo with omv5
i want to get the docker working

thank you regards Martin

I abandoned this project for a little while because i had no time. But if anyone is interested i compiled the latest kernel 4.9.330 with all the modules an options needed to run docker, i remove zswap in favor of zram and disable the transcoding module (i never found a way to use it, and right now is not needed, all my peripherals can play 4k better than this hardware can transcode it), gaining 981 MB of ram, if anyone if interested in trying it you can download it from the following link: 19.76 MB folder on MEGA

2 Likes

Hi zeusjan, the Kernel not working for me, seems the emmc.uImage can not be updated by fwtutil - R, can you clarify how you update the Kernel file to the falsh, thanks.

addtional information, the Kernel can boot the system and I can login by telnet MCHD ip, but after a few seconds the link down and the ip can not be ping anymore.

Hello, sorry I generally write it directly on flash and I forgot that fwtutil cannot write images bigger than 12 MB. you need to compress it with gzip and then change the name again to emmc.uImage. Test it first booting with it. Generally when I compile the kernel it automatically compress with gzip but i forgot to activate it this time. if you had any problem i can make another kernel on friday already compressed.

Hello, after some testing I find the newest kernel 4.9.330 not very stable in my MCHD. It works fine in the beginning and can boot the system into OMV interface, and confirmed to release memory to almost 1G which just like you shared. But after I install some components and set up docker, I reboot the MCHD then it can not booted. I can find the MCHD after it powered on, and can also ping it in the first a few seconds, but can not connect to it whether via telnet or ssh. a moment later the MCHD can’t ping anymore and I reboot many times it show the same. I have to back to kernel 4.9.226 and then it works fine again, so I’m not sure if something I missed.

In addition, the MCHD can’t power off correctly in OMV6.4, I click the power off button and then the GUI shows the system closed but it keep ping through for ever, the machine can’t power off either, do you have any advise to this?

1 Like

haha, I just solved this issue when you writing, now it works good for me. by the way, fwtutil tools can write the file to flash no matter what the file names. :grinning:

1 Like