Kernel 4.9.119 alpha status Home Cloud Duo

Hello, I finally manage to boot the kernel 4.9.119 on the My Cloud Home Duo, right now I need to fix three important things:

• Hdds
  • Fan control (it´s always on at full speed)
  • Led status (led stays off)

If someone has more experience editing dts and kernel drivers I appreciate the help, I´m trying to port a newer kernel to my device just for fun (and learning about compiling kernels), here is my actual log with this kernel JustPaste.it - Share Text & Images the Easy Way

2 Likes

Well it looks like I manage to fix the fan, light and hdd, right now looks like it works ok, but I have some minor details to tune, if someone wants to try it out, you can download it from here 18.76 MB folder on MEGA it has zram activated, NFS, and all the modules required for docker, only works on the Home Cloud Duo with Debian. ONLY TEST IT IF YOU KNOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING, OR IF LIKE ME, YOU DONT MIND IF SOMETHING GO WRONG.

2 Likes

Cool, which base system did you start with, OpenWRT?
Would the video cedecs be usable with 4.9.119, or what was your motivation to go with that kernel?

Looking forward to continue learning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use the openwrt sources from bananapi w2. lt was the only one I manage to boot (don’t know why). I want to use the video hardware accelerator, I still don’t know if is possible, I need to build ffmpeg with RMA codecs and try it, but I still don’t do it because lack of time (my work). I hope to try it out on the weekend. I dont know either if the kernel is stable because right now im using the nas, so I only boot the kernel to try it.

On the end it was easier than I think, my problem was that I was focused on the sources from Realtek on github (never worked for me), but I compiled the openwrt sources and use the saola 1gb dtb, and worked at first try, then I make some modifications on the dtb for sata, fan and led.

If you want to try it out, you can build the kernel and use the “rtd-1295-giraffe-1GB.dtb” (I share mine on the link with the kernel) and see if it boots, then for sata and the led you only need to edit the dts files

2 Likes

I manage to build FFMPEG with the Realtek libraries, but doesnt work, my kernel looks stable enough (I compile the ffmpeg with the nas), but it only detect one disk, still don´t know why :frowning:

2 Likes

So I believed I gonna abandon this personal project, but WD already publish the new firmware based on Debian with a newer kernel, but I don´t know when they gonna make public the sources (few days, few months, few years???). So I´m tired of waiting, and I want a new kernel. I took the dtb file of the new firmware and decompile it with the device tree compiler utility of linux (name it pelican.dts), and put the new file on the kernel sources of the banana pi, and it worked without errors :smiley: now I need to tune the kernel and test it to see that it works correctly.

2 Likes

Old .config is suitable for the new version of the kernel?

If you are referring to the .config of the older 4.1.17 kernel, No. The new kernel has a lot of new features, and others missing (like for example android exclusive features), if you try to use the old config without running “make menuconfig”, it doesn’t work.

If you are referring to the old .config of my previous attempt to use a new kernel, well, yes, but I let this project untouched when I heard that WD was releasing a new kernel, so I don’t even remember what options I put in, so I’m gonna make the kernel from scratch with the banana pi sources. I hope to test it the next week.

1 Like

please, share a link to GPL banana pi RTD1295

This is the Android Kernel BPI-W2-bsp/linux-rtk at master · BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-W2-bsp · GitHub , I cannot share the openwrt sources because they make it private (I send an email to the developer and he add me to the fork). But the kernel is almost the same, except for some android related stuff. If you want to try to build a kernel with this sources, you need the dtb file from the original 8.x firmware of WD. You need to go back to the original firmware, or ask someone with it, to boot with the usb OMV installer and extract it.

Well, i gonna abandon again the project :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I send an email to WD, and they answer me, in theory by the end of this week we gonna have the new sources. Maybe they had some delays, but I believe they gonna publish it soon. I must say that they answer very quickly, I believed that my email wasn’t gonna be answered.

1 Like

hard to believe, they published all versions of the source codes on half a year after release firmware

1 Like

True, I send him an email to look into the matter. I tried with the dtb from the new firmware, and it compiles without errors, but then it doesn’t boot, I get a kernel panic, I believe it has something to do with new memory addresses :neutral_face:.

Finally, they publish the sources :smile:, Ryan Ware promise me to answered me today, and they finally publish the sources.

1 Like

interesting… it turns out that GPL_MCH_Monarch_8.5.1-102_20220517.tar.xz was published on May 17, 2022, but not posted on the site.

We need Kernel ver.5.10+ for support us ARM GPU Mali-T820MP3 device
Panfrost — The Mesa 3D Graphics Library latest documentation

Panfrost (DRM support for ARM Mali Midgard/Bifrost GPUs) - CONFIG_DRM_PANFROST - panfrost.ko - kernelconfig.io

p.s. ver5.2.хх Kconfig « panfrost « drm « gpu « drivers - kernel/git/stable/linux.git - Linux kernel stable tree

Right now im on vacation so I don’t had access to the device, but i doubt that you need a newer kernel to use the gpu drivers. By the way, why do you need the gpu? you had not hdmi access so you don’t had any use for gpu unless your plan on using some opencl software. If you are trying to use Hardware Encode and Decode features, you are on the wrong path. Hardware Video Acceleration is done in a different coprocessor and is propietary of Realtek, is called RMA (Realtek Media Acceleration). You had the proprietary drivers embedded on the kernel, and the decoders and encoders as a deb packages on the sources.

it`s for Android, me need device GPU ( /dev/gpu )

Well if you need absolutely the gpu, you don’t need a new kernel, you can download the open source drivers from here: Mali Drivers | Open Source Mali Midgard GPU Kernel Drivers – Arm Developer , you just need to decompress this on the mycloud kernel source, and edit the make file on the drivers folders to add arm mali drivers, make a new .config file and select the mali drivers, and compile again the kernel. In theory with that you can have the drivers into the kernel, but depending on the toolchain that you are using you can have errors, or not. I’m going to look at it when I arrive at home just for curiosity.

2 Likes

So I look on how to add the gpu on your device, is harder than I think, the drivers from ARM are a mess. The best shot that you have, is trying to port the drivers from the old kernel, and add a section on the dts to activate the gpu. if I had time I’m gonna try that and see if I manged to activate the gpu.