Keeping WDTV Live SMP Powered Off

Hi,

Are there any issues with keeping the WDTV unit completely powered off for extended periods of time and then powering on when it needs to be used?

I am not sure what it does when it boots up in terms of updates/library/etc so it may be that leaving it in standby is a better option. However, iIt seems to regularly query my NAS even when in standby so it does not allow the NAS to sleep.

Cheers
Dan

You could always try powering it down completely overnight and trying it the next day (or 2) ?

Press and hold the Red Power button on the Remote Control for 5 Seconds for a complete power down.

Ah, I have just been turning it off at the plug! Didn’t realise there was a remote option, thanks :)

Ok, so there aren’t any bad side effects of a full power down versus leaving it on standby? (I am happy for a longer boot up time if that’s the case, more worried about lots of things rebuilding etc for no reason other than the WDTV wasn’t expecting to have zero power for any period of time).

dan0001 wrote:

Ah, I have just been turning it off at the plug! Didn’t realise there was a remote option, thanks :)

It’s in the User Manual … (Page 40)   http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

dan0001 wrote:

Ok, so there aren’t any bad side effects of a full power down versus leaving it on standby? (

Sorry, dan i don’t own a Live SMP (i have a Live Hub) … i’m just giving general advice

But, personally i would run a series of tests to see if there are any side effects of Standby Vs. Power Down

I don’t think there will be … but you need to test it for yourself to confirm

Cheers

Joey

ok will do, thanks Joey!

cheers

dan

Hi Dan, Joey,

I power mine down completely all the time and it causes me no adverse effects. The only time it does take a few minutes longer to be ready for use is if you have added lots of new media to your Windows Shares or USB \ hard drive \ NAS Drive.

I started using the 5 second off option a while back because my TP Link Power Line Adapters would not go to sleep. It solved the problem in an instant.

Scanning for updates should not be an issue if you turn auto updates off. WD don’t release them that often for it to be a problem and you can always manually search here in the forum.