Keeping Files Deleted from PC in Backup

Hello,

Is there a way to keep files in the WD backup when they have been deleted on the PC? I don’t see a setting to change this. For space reasons I need to delete files on my computer but I don’t want the WD software to delete those same files from the backup.

Thanks.

It wont delete anything from the drive unless you do so…

the backup software that comes with the drive is not an image backup, so if you delete files from the computer, they will remain on the drive

Keep in mind that a real backup is having multiple copies of the same files on different locations…  :manwink:

Hi Ragdexx,

For an example I have 10 files in my PC…and thew backup is done using Anywhere Backup SW and kept in WD Network dive.Later a month, I delet 5 files in my PC then I expect the Backup software to delete the files (which are deleted in PC) from the backup.

Additionally let say I add 5 more new files…what will happen at the back up copy of that folder in the WD Network drive… ?

This is quet tricky otherwise we may spend the Networkm Drive Storage unnecessarily…

Regards

I have tested and found that even if we delete the file in original locatiion…the BACKUP STORE keeps the file…

If you are in large data movements…then I dont see any other option other than…

1. Delete Backup Plan

2. Delete files/folders in Backup folder…

3. Create new plan…

But this is very much manaual admininstration…I dont see any benefit in this…

Please, if you have some solution post it kindly.

I actually LIKE that backup software will delete a backed up file if the original is also deleted (mirroring the original location).

Are you guys saying Smartware does NOT do this? That kinda **bleep**. That means the backup files will get forever bloated.