Just tried a Boxee Box

Just connected up a Boxee Box

What a nightmare !

Eventually got forced by the family to plug the WD back in so they could watch a movie

The BB played  my .dvdmedia (which I thought it would have trouble with) but refused to play any of my MKV or MP4 files. This is with my hdd plugged straight into the USB

The movies it did play took ages to start and there were audio drop outs too

Just thought I would share this to show how we might have a few niggles with the WD, but in comparison…

*just discovered there is a problem with 3tb hdd’s - not supported yet. And not for a while by the look of it*

Hi kev, your post was interesting!

thanks for the info- have been considering other options to the hub but at the mo will stick with it.

just wish that  the wdtv developers fix some basic bugs instead of adding needless games and applications like FB!

I’ve been over to the Boxee forum and there is a chance there is a known cause for this problem

Apparently, the BBox doesn’t  yet support 3tb HDD connected direct via usb (which is what I have)

sounds familiar !

I would have expected it not to work at all but suppose its possible it could cause these symptoms

Did get it all working by using the WD Live Hub with HDD connected via usb as, ummm, a hub

So Boxee works fine when network mapped to the WDTV which is now the source

As there is now a network between me and my media, I have the occasional streaming problem

Next steps

Re-instate WD as primary media centre - put Boxxe Boxx on shelf or another room until stable fw available that fixes it (gonna be a long wait)

KevG123 wrote:

Just connected up a Boxee Box

What a nightmare !

Eventually got forced by the family to plug the WD back in so they could watch a movie

The BB played  my .dvdmedia (which I thought it would have trouble with) but refused to play any of my MKV or MP4 files. This is with my hdd plugged straight into the USB

The movies it did play took ages to start and there were audio drop outs too

Just thought I would share this to show how we might have a few niggles with the WD, but in comparison…

*just discovered there is a problem with 3tb hdd’s - not supported yet. And not for a while by the look of it*

HA! If you think the BB is lame, take a look at Seagate’s Goflex TV or the FreeAgent Theater Plus! Total JUNK!